Can 980 ti sli power triple 1440p monitors at ultra settings

Mansour Alyahya

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015
I was just wondering if my 980 ti sli video card configuration would support triple 1440p monitors at 50< fps? I plan to use the LG 34UC97-S with an alienware area-51 desktop with the intel i7 5930k cpu @ 3.9 Ghz and 16GB ddr4 @ 2133.

Solution
With just twin GFX cards, the 5930k / DDR4 isn't helping you. Wouldn't recommend X99 unless you were using 3 or 4 cards as Z97 / 4870k w/ twin cards does slightly better. The new 6700k would widen that gap substantially.

I'm not sure you meant what was written ... are you really planning 3 curved monitors ? Not recommended. The whole idea with a curved screen is to immerse you in the field of vision by having you in the center of the curve... you can't sit in the curve center w/ 3 screens

That particular monitor has not been well reviewed, is a bit expensive \ and has a chinsy 1 year warranty.

The Acer Predator is cheaper, better reviewed and has 3 year warranty

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824106002...
that would be considered 6k resolution.

heres a sli setup with two standard 980s averaging around 50 fps in bf4 at 6k. the 980 ti should murder that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFLxFpm8WN0

dont get your hopes up yet.

depending on the game you may very well get lower than 50 fps performance. a 980 ti runs a single 2k monitor pretty ideally. you may want to try two 980 ti to start, but build your machine to support a third. Better option would be to switch to 2 way sli titan x because vram may become an issue with only 6gb on 6k resolution.

here is a single 980 ti running around 50 fps in witcher 3 with hairworks on a single 2k monitor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCLMNJDPOcQ
you dont get double the performance from adding a second card because of diminishing returns and vram cannot stack.

so,
1 980 ti 2k = 50fps and plenty of vram.
2 980 ti 4k = slightly less than 50fps and may or may not be maxed on vram.
3 980 ti 6k = possibly much less than 50 fps and definitely maxed out vram. This may cause a slight bottleneck or stuttering and lower fps further.

Titans may be the way to go if you want to be closest to smooth gaming.

With just twin GFX cards, the 5930k / DDR4 isn't helping you. Wouldn't recommend X99 unless you were using 3 or 4 cards as Z97 / 4870k w/ twin cards does slightly better. The new 6700k would widen that gap substantially.

I'm not sure you meant what was written ... are you really planning 3 curved monitors ? Not recommended. The whole idea with a curved screen is to immerse you in the field of vision by having you in the center of the curve... you can't sit in the curve center w/ 3 screens

That particular monitor has not been well reviewed, is a bit expensive \ and has a chinsy 1 year warranty.

The Acer Predator is cheaper, better reviewed and has 3 year warranty

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824106002

The LG doesn't have published specs on refresh rate but if it's like the Acer, it maxes out at 75 Hz, and w/ no G-Sync / Freesync / ULMB motion blur and response time are about double that of the XP270HU which is the current "best gaming monitor".

At 3 x 3440 x 1440 , we are talking about almost twice 4k (8.29 million pixels) at 14.9 million pixels. As no pair of cards can currently consistently drive 4k at 50 fps in all of today's demanding titles.,,, I don't see much hope with your 3 monitors. Scaling with a 3rd and 4th card is not all that impressive either.

GTAV = 42.7 fps
Witcher 3 - 41.7

You are talking < 60 % of those numbers with tri 3440 x 1440

At 2560 x 1440 two Titans give ya 163 in BF4 ... but at 4 times the pixels, I'm guessing mid 40s w/ Titans

To my eyes, 4K Gaming isn't going to really matter until we have cards that can consistently drive them above 60 fps. IPS really needs 144 Hz, G-Sync and ULMB to really shine at this point. If there was a GFX card that could handle 4k at 144 Hz, we couldn't get the signal to the monitor as the current display port spec doesn't provide the necessary bandwidth.

If I was planning a system such as you have described, I'd grab a 144 Hz 2560 x 1440 Predator w/ G-Sync and ULMB now and enjoy it w/ a pair of 970s or 980 Ti. Come XMas 2016, I'd grab two more matching monitors and a pair of whatever cards are released in time for the XMas rush.

Solution