New HIS R9 390 has coil whine while browsing the internet (and everything else).

RookC137

Reputable
Aug 22, 2015
I just completed my very first PC build and I now own real high end components for the first time. I thought I did VERY through research before purchasing my components, with exception to the manufacturer of my graphics card. I was going to go with the MSI R9 390 but chose HIS because its cool looking and gold (I know that's stupid but I wanted a black and gold build)

Anyway the one thing that's caught me by surprise is this coil whine! I can't stand it! Whenever I do anything that demands any graphics at all, the card whines. If I'm on a website with moving graphics, it whines. Watching a YouTube video, it whines. Even switching Chrome tabs, it whines.

Gaming is as you would expect: loud incessant whining.

The only thing is that it's not a high pitched whine like I think is common, its more like a grasshopper noise but slightly faster "clicks".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S42Nd1APmzs

Has anyone had any experience with this kind of thing before? Is this something I can/should send the card back for, or is this normal and I just need to suck it up?

My build is:
POSSESSOR: AMD FX-8350
MOBO: Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
GPU: HIS Radeon R9 390
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance
PSU: EVGA Supernova NEX750B
HD: 1TB Segate SSHD
CASE: Corsair AIR 540