First Gaming pc build Part list opinions and advice please?

Hey all- i've taken the last couple of days to research some parts for my first pc build. I have no experience in building pcs whatsover and even am a newbie to pc gaming. But still i am a gaming enthusiast.
For this build the parts I have found may be not what I am looking for, so I would greatly appricate any advice/changes to my list. That would be amazing.
I am looking for a tough gaming pc that will be able to play GTA V, IV, Skyrim, The sims 2, and the likes very smoothly with 60fps. I want very smooth gameplay and having it look amazing will also be a huge plus. Mostly I want NO lags in gameplay and stutters and whatnot. Anyway take a look and let me know what you think! I am excited about building my first pc, so any tips would be amazing. Any at all. :) Something I really am confused about is the cpu cooler. I definitely need advice there. And probably the case too, I want something spacey enough to work in with good features, fancy looks aren't as important to me as functionality.


[PCPartPicker part list](http://pcpartpicker.com/p/djszcf) / [Price breakdown by merchant](http://pcpartpicker.com/p/djszcf/by_merchant/)

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
**CPU** | [Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646i74790k) | $341.98 @ Newegg
**CPU Cooler** | [Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2) | $25.98 @ OutletPC
**Motherboard** | [Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-maximusviihero) | $209.99 @ SuperBiiz
**Memory** | (http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f312800cl10d16gbxl) | $85.99 @ Newegg
**Storage** | [Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mz75e500bam) | $179.99 @ Newegg
**Storage** | [Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/western-digital-internal-hard-drive-wd2003fzex) | $119.99 @ Micro Center
**Video Card** | [MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-gtx970gaming4g) (2-Way SLI) | $333.98 @ Newegg
**Video Card** | [MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-gtx970gaming4g) (2-Way SLI) | $333.98 @ Newegg
**Case** | [Phanteks Enthoo Luxe ATX Full Tower Case](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/phanteks-case-phes614lwt) | $159.99 @ Amazon
**Power Supply** | [EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220p21000xr) | $177.99 @ SuperBiiz
**Optical Drive** | [LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/lg-optical-drive-gh24nsb0) | $19.75 @ OutletPC
**Operating System** | [Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/microsoft-os-kw900140) | $93.89 @ OutletPC
| *Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts* |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $2085.50
| Mail-in rebates | -$30.00
| **Total** | **$2055.50**
| Generated by [PCPartPicker](http://pcpartpicker.com) 2015-08-22 20:43 EDT-0400 |
10 answers Last reply
More about gaming build part list opinions advice
  1. Same build based on new Skylake :

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($359.99 @ NCIX US)
    CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Universal 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($46.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($158.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($88.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($172.81 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($119.99 @ Micro Center)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($333.98 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($333.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe ATX Full Tower Case ($159.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($177.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($19.75 @ OutletPC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($93.89 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $2067.34
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-22 21:16 EDT-0400

    Also, i'd personally get 1x aftermarket GTX 980 TI over 2x970.
    See - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4RyNNlKbJw .
    850w unit should more than enough for your setup, something like EVGA G2 850w.
  2. PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Universal 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($46.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($172.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($134.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($179.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($76.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX Video Card ($674.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe ATX Full Tower Case ($140.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: EVGA 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.99 @ NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($19.75 @ OutletPC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($93.89 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1903.53
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-22 21:14 EDT-0400
  3. PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($64.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($158.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Sandisk Extreme Pro 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($119.95 @ Adorama)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.88 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card ($678.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($98.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($121.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Optical Drive: LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit) ($88.88 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $1747.63
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-22 21:32 EDT-0400
  4. Xemko said:
    Same build based on new Skylake :

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($359.99 @ NCIX US)
    CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Universal 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($46.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($158.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($88.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($172.81 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($119.99 @ Micro Center)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($333.98 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($333.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe ATX Full Tower Case ($159.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($177.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($19.75 @ OutletPC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($93.89 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $2067.34
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-22 21:16 EDT-0400

    Also, i'd personally get 1x aftermarket GTX 980 TI over 2x970.
    See - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4RyNNlKbJw .
    850w unit should more than enough for your setup, something like EVGA G2 850w.


    Thanks for the advice! Looked it over and changed to a 980TI. There is something I want to ask though, it is kind of a dumb question. I want to be able to have wifi on this build as I wont be able to get a wired connection from where my setup is. Do I have to integrate it myself with a card or...???? If so what would be a good choice?
  5. For wifi you have a few options, add a 1x pci-e card, use a usb wireless adapter, or buy a motherboard with built in wireless(would still have external antenna).
  6. Something like this will do the job :
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($37.24 @ Amazon)
    Total: $37.24
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-22 21:53 EDT-0400
  7. bignastyid said:
    For wifi you have a few options, add a 1x pci-e card, use a usb wireless adapter, or buy a motherboard with built in wireless(would still have external antenna).


    Thanks! Also, another question that i've been trumped on, will I be able to use my HDTV as a main monitor ? or will I have to invent in a decent monitor instead?
  8. Xemko said:
    Something like this will do the job :
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($37.24 @ Amazon)
    Total: $37.24
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-22 21:53 EDT-0400


    Thanks!
  9. Entrisen said:
    bignastyid said:
    For wifi you have a few options, add a 1x pci-e card, use a usb wireless adapter, or buy a motherboard with built in wireless(would still have external antenna).


    Thanks! Also, another question that i've been trumped on, will I be able to use my HDTV as a main monitor ? or will I have to invent in a decent monitor instead?


    Yes you can use the hdtv.
  10. bignastyid said:
    Entrisen said:
    bignastyid said:
    For wifi you have a few options, add a 1x pci-e card, use a usb wireless adapter, or buy a motherboard with built in wireless(would still have external antenna).


    Thanks! Also, another question that i've been trumped on, will I be able to use my HDTV as a main monitor ? or will I have to invent in a decent monitor instead?


    Yes you can use the hdtv.


    Perfect! also just one more thing, would it be worthwhile to add a second SSD? Would it help much more to cut down load times and such?
Ask a new question

Read More

Intel Samsung Noctua Memory Storage Cooling Build Nvidia Sandisk Systems