R9 270 Crossfire in the Era of Direct X 12

Componentgirl90

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2015
I always thought about getting a second R9 270 crossfire GPU. I was always put off because if the memory limit. I.e. My understanding is that the memory isn't additive and that I would still be limited to 2GB although there would be big performance gains.

Now all the games you might want the extra memory for will be running Direct X 12 (Witcher 3, Star Citizen) and crossfire would be like 4Gb correct?. I guess this changes the equation.

Solution
The VRAM could stack depending on how they implement DirectX 12, but with The Witcher 3, they're probably just going to use the features from DirectX 12 for low level access to the hardware and less overhead and not implement split-frame rendering; but that is just a guess.

If I was you, I'd sell your current R9 270, add whatever you get to the cash you have, and invest in the best single video card you can.

anti-duck

Honorable
The VRAM could stack depending on how they implement DirectX 12, but with The Witcher 3, they're probably just going to use the features from DirectX 12 for low level access to the hardware and less overhead and not implement split-frame rendering; but that is just a guess.

If I was you, I'd sell your current R9 270, add whatever you get to the cash you have, and invest in the best single video card you can.

Solution

rcj22001

Reputable
May 7, 2015
anti-duck is correct. as of now, there are still issues with Xfire and SLI (stuttering is a big one), and all of the advice I've read indicates going with the best, single card, you can afford/are willing to buy.