Got $300 and Need help upgrading My $1000 Gaming PC

neymarmessiop

Reputable
Feb 13, 2015
Hello there,I have recently saved up $300 and i am interested in upgrading my pc. Here are the specs.

I7 4790K
MSI Z97 G45
8GB Ram
3TB HDD
430W Corsair PSU (I dont know what i was thinking when i bought this)
H440 Case
Nvidia Gtx 660

Pirepharals:
20" Monitor
IBM Keyboard
Zelotes $10 Gaming Mouse
Apple Headphones

I think if i add any new components, i need new Psu so keep that in mind. I was thinking of getting a combo from those choices. Monitor, SSD, Headset, PSU, Ram.
I usually play Fps and most new games like GTA. I render some videos and stream to twitch.tv occasionaly so im looking for something that willimprove my experience. I dont think i can upgrade gpu since the upgrade i would go for is 970 minimum and i will also nee a new psu so... Also here in city, i can get 24" monitor for $100 and i have a current offer for a pair of a40 for $130.
Thanks

bimbam360

Reputable
Mar 3, 2014
Not sure why you are concerned about your PSU. Jumping from a GTX 660 to a GTX 960 will be a net power drop of 20w. Hell going to a 970 would only be a 5w increase.

(http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-660/specifications)
(http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-960/specifications)
(http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-970/specifications)

The 7-series ran high on juice, the 9s brought it right back down again.

No idea what prices are like in your area, but a 970 and an SSD would sort you right out. Probably rip the spinner out and chuck it in an external enclosure.

bimbam360

Reputable
Mar 3, 2014
I realise my opinion clearly differs from the norm, but I really see no point in switching out a PSU that assuming it is the age of your CPU, has already proven itself to be stable at your current load for over a year. Statistically if it was going to fail, it would have by now and what your left with is a product that is more than likely absolutely fine for at least another year or two before wear failures start to kick in.

I can only speak from my own experience but I don't think I have ever had a PSU fail between 6months and ~3 years. It will either be an early failure (normally the first bloody fortnight) or a long life failure from me running it 24/7 for 5 years.

If you want to spend $300 right now and get the most out of it, a 960 and an SSD are your best options and puts even less strain on your PSU than it is currently running. Unless your particular model of PSU is known to be particularly flaky, upgrading it without a need for more power is like chucking more ram into a system that doesn't use it.

Of course the fact you already don't trust it will play a far bigger factor now than anything else I say ^^

neymarmessiop

Reputable
Feb 13, 2015
I agree and disagree to some of the comments. My PSU/GPU is making a wierd buzzing noise which is not coil whine. Upon close hearing, i believe its psu. This had been going for atleast 6 months when i do graphic intense games or apps. This has led me to think that the psu watts are too low and it is not providing enough power for the system. This psu was used in my old build so i didnt buy it recently when i built my pc 8 months ago. I am confused. I could just get a new psu and save for a 970 or i can get a monitor and headset and maybe fit an ssd. Idk im looking to improve my gaming so.. Would love more opinions on this. Thanks for all who have replied

CTurbo

Pizza Monster