500 gb hard disk deleted - unallocated space is 7 gb

Ali_5

Reputable
Aug 28, 2015
I have a 500GB Seagate laptop hard disk and I used to install both Windows and Ubuntu on it.
I recently formatted it using a linux tool and everything crashed.
I got another drive, installed windows and connected using a SATA cable but now windows disk management says it's a 7.12 gb unallocated disk.
I created a partition and it works fine but it's only 7.12 gb.
can anyone help be figure out what this is and how to make it show all it's space again?
http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r553/3allak/Untitled.jpg
http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r553/3allak/Untitled_1.jpg

Solution
Hey there, Ali_5

I'd suggest that you download the drive manufacturer's diagnostics tool and run the tests on the HDD, to see what's the situation with it. If everything seems fine, I'd recommend that you low level format it (a.k.a. write zeros, zero the drive, etc), to see if that fixes the issue. After that you'd have to initialize, partition and format it as if it was a brand new internal HDD. You can use DISKPART to low level format it or an HDD diagnostics tool (most of them have an option for Writing Zeros/Low level format).

Please let me know how everything goes.
Boogieman_WD
Hey there, Ali_5

I'd suggest that you download the drive manufacturer's diagnostics tool and run the tests on the HDD, to see what's the situation with it. If everything seems fine, I'd recommend that you low level format it (a.k.a. write zeros, zero the drive, etc), to see if that fixes the issue. After that you'd have to initialize, partition and format it as if it was a brand new internal HDD. You can use DISKPART to low level format it or an HDD diagnostics tool (most of them have an option for Writing Zeros/Low level format).

Please let me know how everything goes.
Boogieman_WD

Solution

OneMansGlory

Reputable
Apr 26, 2015

What he said :p

Ali_5

Reputable
Aug 28, 2015

thank you so much for answering
I downloaded the drive diagnostics tool and every test I do returns this:
Unfortunately, your Seagate product has failed an important diagnostic test, possibly caused by problem sectors which are difficult to read. Now is a good time to make sure that you have a current backup of your important data. If you have not done so already, please consider running the Long Generic test on your external drive. This test has the ability to repair problem sectors that are difficult to read. For more information on this subject, see the Help file topic "Bad Sector Found".

and when I run the Long Generic test it returns the exact same error!

I would be very appreciative if you could point me to the best software for dealing with such problem
thank you

Unfortunately, it sounds more like the drive might be failing. If the tests are returning with this kind of error, it means that there are too many bad sectors, which can't be repaired. If I were you, I'd contact the HDD manufacturer's customer support and ask for further assistance and RMA (if the drive is still under warranty). No software can fix bad sectors in the long term, if this is indeed what's happening to the drive.

Ali_5

Reputable
Aug 28, 2015

thanks for answering.
I tried every software I could find and it always gives me a bad sector errors.
I'm convinced now it's unfixable.
thanks anyway I really appreciate your answers

TRENDING THREADS