i7 6700 (non-k) stock cooler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution

Most likely the one in the right, the one in the left is an standalone cooling solution offered by Intel. Not included with any chip.

InvalidError

Titan
The ts15a is Intel's aftermarket cooler for LGA1151.

There does not appear to be much info on Skylake CPUs out there aside from the 6600K and 6700K despite Intel's ARK saying a few dozen SKUs have supposedly launched. Intel is being surprisingly quiet with Skylake it seems.

BFU2Miners

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2014

Most likely the one in the right, the one in the left is an standalone cooling solution offered by Intel. Not included with any chip.

Solution
Either way they still all use the same cheap plastic pushpin retention system. Given the relatively low cost of decent aftermarket coolers not sure there's much reason to consider the stock cooler. Not much info about the non k varieties for skylake, I've seen it mentioned that there may be both chip only as well as boxed retail with coolers but the stock cooler is likely to be the plain old intel brick they've been using.

BFU2Miners

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2014

I'm not sure how you concluded it will use that tower heatsink, even after I posted an image of the actual box of the CPU.

Lets try again, the two at the top are K models which doesn't include a heatsick and have a larger box, the two below are locked models which have heatsink and comes in a SMALLER box.
http://imgur.com/B7CePo1

InvalidError

Titan

Why shouldn't people consider the stock cooler for non-K/X CPUs? They aren't going to run over the TDP the stock HSF is designed for and as long as they are installed properly, they will keep the CPU well within its guaranteed operating limits at least through the warranty period. If Intel removed the HSF from their mainstream chips' packaging, they would likely pocket most of the difference instead of passing the savings to their distributors, vendors and end-users.

My i5-3470 is still running perfectly fine with its stock HSF after almost three years of running nearly 24/7, about half of it at a constant ~60% load.

I agree, they seem to have pocketed the money leaving the stock cooler out from the skylake k series. Dropped the cooler AND raised prices, clever. It's not that the stock coolers aren't enough for stock speeds, just the wonky plastic pushpins I hate. It's like car jacks, they stopped using old wonky bumper jacks a long time ago in favor of updated methods which do the same job easier, safer and more effectively. We also don't have to get out and hand crank start our cars anymore.

Far as I can tell there are two types of thoughts shared by the majority of people regarding intel's persistent retention method for their coolers. They either tolerate it or hate it. No one says 'wow, great idea - that made life easier'. Ignoring the fact that the stock coolers can get a bit noisy under extended periods of heavy load, the retention system has a way of fouling up. Most work 'ok' but the plastic pins are constantly under tension and rely on the resilience of the plastic which weakens over time. Sometimes they don't lock tight, sometimes they break and let loose leaving only 3 of 4 holding the cooler down.

Almost every other aftermarket cooler, whether cheapo or high end, uses nuts and screws to hold down their coolers. It's not by accident. With as many complaints as intel's had about the dreaded plastic pins you'd think they might have addressed it over the past 10yrs of using the same defunct design. I've used the stock coolers in the past and they've done an ok job for stock cpu's as well. The time around when building a family member a pc I didn't even think twice about skipping the stock cooler. Same for my workstation build, which never gets gamed on or anything. It wasn't just for better than stock cooling, the $25 for a cooler was worth not dinking with that pushpin garbage. Not to me anyway. I'm by no means 'rich' but I'm also at a point in my life where skimping to save a few bucks isn't worth the additional headache either. If there's a better mousetrap for a couple dollars more, sounds good to me.

InvalidError

Titan

You must not be looking at the same 'cheapo' HSFs I do. Tons of lower-profile HSFs use push-pins. Large tower-style HSFs, no matter how cheap, have very little choice there since most would be far too heavy to hold reliably with push-pins.

As far as push-pins' reliability goes, they are quite reliable when installed properly on the first try. The problem is that installing them properly is tricky, can be a one-shot deal since improperly installing them may mangle the pins and holes, and depends on variables beyond the push-pins themselves, such as tolerances on the motherboard thickness, IHS height above the motherboard and mounting hole size. Another problem is that there is so little flex in the retention setup that it is nearly impossible to tell if the pins are actually holding and by the same account, it also means there is this much less tolerance for height variations or any deformation/weakening of the retention mechanism parts.

I'm not much of a fan of push-pins either - my first encounter with them when building my Core2Duo did not go well and I ended up chipping one of my motherboard's HSF holes by forcing a pin in when the prongs were not quite all the way through, so I had to get a 212+ just to get around that.

Zinzeria

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015
Ok, I've read all of the posts on here thus far.

It seems people are mostly sliding towards no. However I live where it's very very hot. I have always invested in a cpu cooler even if it came one already. I normally do this because I use it not not only cool the cpu but ram and gpu as well.

However, this is the first BIG rebuild i've done in nearly 10 years. My last pc was always a pick-a-part pc.

Knowing that I live in a hot/humid area and it's hard to cool the house down to 77F would you say that I'm still ok with the stock cooler?

InvalidError

Titan

It gets up to 40C (~104F) in my room if I don't start the AC during summer and I have never seen my CPU's core temperature (i5-3470) go beyond 75C with the stock HSF. Its fan does get noisy to keep it there though.

Status
Not open for further replies.