Solved

First time building a PC (for gaming). Need help selecting parts. URL links to parts included in post.

I need some input on building my first PC (gaming).

First, for gaming, should I stick with Windows 7 or upgrade to Windows 10?

My two primary questions are which part should I choose, and of the chosen parts, are they compatible?

Which of the 3 motherboards would you recommend? If you know anything better, please recommend.

1. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131876&cm_re=Crosshair_V_Formula-Z-_-13-131-876-_-Product

2. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131877&cm_re=SABERTOOTH_990FX_R2.0-_-13-131-877-_-Product

3. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131851&cm_re=M5A99FX_PRO_R2.0-_-13-131-851-_-Product


Of the two processors, which would you recommend?

1. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113284&cm_re=FD8350FRHKBOX-_-19-113-284-_-Product

2. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117369&cm_re=BX80646I74790K-_-19-117-369-_-Product


Is this a good RAM/memory stick? If not, what do you suggest for gaming?

1. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007HAXMGA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_5&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER


Which of the two storage devices would be better for gaming? Would you recommend something different?

1. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147373&cm_re=MZ-75E500B%2fAM-_-20-147-373-_-Product

2. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5EM2KP4213&cm_re=WD5000HHTZ-_-22-236-244-_-Product


Which of these four graphics card would you recommend? If you know of one that’s better and “too” much more, please recommend it.

1. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127874&cm_re=R9_390_GAMING_8G-_-14-127-874-_-Product

2. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202148&cm_re=11244-00-20G-_-14-202-148-_-Product

3. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127874&cm_re=Radeon_R9_390-_-14-127-874-_-Product

4. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P9RDI9Y?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_5&smid=A2L77EE7U53NWQ


Would this be a good power supply or do you recommend something different?

1. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139040&cm_re=CP-9020015-NA-_-17-139-040-_-Product


Would this be a good case/tower, or would you recommend something different? I don't care about looks, at all, only functionality.

1. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146076&cm_re=Source_210_White-_-11-146-076-_-Product


Would this be a good fan? If not, please recommend something. Also, how many fans should I get? If more than one, please recommend the other types.

1. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099&cm_re=RR-212E-20PK-R2-_-35-103-099-_-Product


Is there anything that I am missing?

Final question, of the parts, am I going to have a compatibility issue? I would be running Windows 7, possibly upgrading to windows 10.

I really appreciate the help, thanks!
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about time building gaming selecting parts url links parts included post
  1. I can make this build much more affordable and better (customized) for your needs.
    Will you be overclocking?
    Budget?
    Any video editing?
    What games will you play?
    Color preferences?
    Would you be willing to buy from other sites if it was cheaper?
  2. IntelTurtleFan said:
    I can make this build much more affordable and better (customized) for your needs.
    Will you be overclocking?
    Budget?
    Any video editing?
    What games will you play?
    Color preferences?
    Would you be willing to buy from other sites if it was cheaper?



    I probably won't be overclocking to save some life on the hardware. Unless overclocking won't deplete the longevity, I won't be OCing.

    My budget is flexible since I will most likely be purchasing in increments. However, I may do it all in one purchase, depending on the price.

    No video editing. I just want to plug-n-play.

    I will be playing: The Witcher 3, Batman Arkham Knight, Metal Gear Solid V, Assassin's Creed Syndicate, Star Wars
    Battlefront, COD Black Ops 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Dishonored 2, Doom 4, Fallout 4, Just Cause 3, any new Battlefields, and anything new in the Far Cry series. Hopefully they will also port Horizon Zero Dawn and The Last Guardian to PC.

    No particular color preference.

    I would buy from any credible site if it were cheaper.
  3. Best answer
    Both will be faster than a FX chip in EVERY game test. Read the link below to see benchmarks. i7 is not needed if you are not going to be making videos or doing 3d cad work.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2716807/guide-cpus-common-misconceptions.html

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($166.95 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($78.30 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($45.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($43.20 @ SuperBiiz)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Black Edition Double Dissipation Video Card ($212.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: XFX XTR 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($73.80 @ SuperBiiz)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.89 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $638.11
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-03 14:15 EDT-0400

    or for overclocking

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($74.89 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($154.99 @ Micro Center)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($114.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($43.20 @ SuperBiiz)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Black Edition Double Dissipation Video Card ($212.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: XFX XTR 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($73.80 @ SuperBiiz)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.89 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $931.73
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-03 14:17 EDT-0400
  4. The overclocking looks great. Would it be worth it to up the RAM from 16gb to 32gb? And In addition to the storage, could I add a SSD soley for the OS?
  5. No need for 32GB of RAM unless you are running 3+ VM's and doing hardcore 3d CAD. I am a video editor and stick with 16GB. In my old build I had 64GB for VMs but I do not run those often any more so I use 16 at the most. 32GB is overkill. I would invest in a better graphics card like a GTX 980.
  6. This build is thirty dollars more for more performance. LGA1150 will still last a long time in a build. This uses a Hyper Threaded (a 4 core that acts like an 8 core) locked chip that will turbo (when enabled in BIOS) to 3.7 GHZ. this also has Windows 10x which besides a couple of bugs, is much better than 7.
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($232.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Alpine 11 Pro Rev. 2 36.7 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($12.60 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($62.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($77.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.49 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 290 4GB TurboDuo Video Card ($232.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Enermax ECA3280A-BR ATX Mid Tower Case ($76.35 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($89.75 @ OutletPC)
    Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($17.99 @ Amazon)
    Case Fan: Arctic Cooling Arctic F12 74.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($6.30 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case Fan: BitFenix BFF-LPRO-23030B-RP 156.3 CFM 230mm Fan ($18.90 @ SuperBiiz)
    Other: Windows 10 logo (smallest size) ($2.00)
    Other: Intel Xeon inside logo ($2.00)
    Other: Powered by EVGA (Small) ($2.00)
    Other: Western Digital Logo ($2.00)
    Total: $931.31

    The cooler is not any better than the stock one. Just much MUCH quieter. Does about 3 degrees better in cooling. So it is unnecessary. Also, while the case is red, the 230mm fan is blue. May want to change it a little.
    It also has some stickers, which you can remove, as this is just my builds part list.
  7. IntelTurtleFan said:
    Both will be faster than a FX chip in EVERY game test. Read the link below to see benchmarks. i7 is not needed if you are not going to be making videos or doing 3d cad work.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2716807/guide-cpus-common-misconceptions.html

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($166.95 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($78.30 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($45.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($43.20 @ SuperBiiz)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Black Edition Double Dissipation Video Card ($212.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: XFX XTR 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($73.80 @ SuperBiiz)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.89 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $638.11
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-03 14:15 EDT-0400

    or for overclocking

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($74.89 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($154.99 @ Micro Center)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($114.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($43.20 @ SuperBiiz)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Black Edition Double Dissipation Video Card ($212.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: XFX XTR 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($73.80 @ SuperBiiz)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.89 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $931.73
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-03 14:17 EDT-0400


    Besides the CPU cooler, would I need any other fans?
    And how much would it cost to add a chip for wireless wifi?
    Also, would I have to provide an OS or will one be pre-installed?
    Could I add an SSD strictly for the OS and keep the Seagate for gaming, et cetera.?
    How much if I wanted to upgrade to graphics card to a GTX 980?
    I don't know if you need this, but my monitor will be a TV, Hi-Sense 50" with 1920x1080 resolution, via HDMI cable.
  8. QuadRings said:
    This build is thirty dollars more for more performance. LGA1150 will still last a long time in a build. This uses a Hyper Threaded (a 4 core that acts like an 8 core) locked chip that will turbo (when enabled in BIOS) to 3.7 GHZ. this also has Windows 10x which besides a couple of bugs, is much better than 7.
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($232.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Alpine 11 Pro Rev. 2 36.7 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($12.60 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($62.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($77.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.49 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 290 4GB TurboDuo Video Card ($232.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Enermax ECA3280A-BR ATX Mid Tower Case ($76.35 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($89.75 @ OutletPC)
    Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($17.99 @ Amazon)
    Case Fan: Arctic Cooling Arctic F12 74.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($6.30 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case Fan: BitFenix BFF-LPRO-23030B-RP 156.3 CFM 230mm Fan ($18.90 @ SuperBiiz)
    Other: Windows 10 logo (smallest size) ($2.00)
    Other: Intel Xeon inside logo ($2.00)
    Other: Powered by EVGA (Small) ($2.00)
    Other: Western Digital Logo ($2.00)
    Total: $931.31

    The cooler is not any better than the stock one. Just much MUCH quieter. Does about 3 degrees better in cooling. So it is unnecessary. Also, while the case is red, the 230mm fan is blue. May want to change it a little.
    It also has some stickers, which you can remove, as this is just my builds part list.


    Could you add an SSD for the OS and so that I can put all the gaming on the Western Digital storage?
  9. I'll edit in a link in a few minutes. Should only be about 40 bucks more. And you don't need the cooler, I just don't like the look of the stock one.
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/kingston-internal-hard-drive-sv300s37a60g
  10. QuadRings said:
    I'll edit in a link in a few minutes. Should only be about 40 bucks more. And you don't need the cooler, I just don't like the look of the stock one.


    The newer cooler would be great. Thank you for the rec.
    I don't know if you need this, but my monitor will be a TV, Hi-Sense 50" with 1920x1080 resolution, via HDMI cable.
  11. That'll work, check out the SSD in my previous post though. 45 bucks on Amazon.
  12. I disagree with the changes mostly due to the PSU change. The 600B is low quality (tier 4). I would not get that PSU and the solid state is not a great one. I can only recommend the EVO as it is decent quality. There is no need at all for a cooler on the Xeon as the CPU runs cooler than a i5-4460 and it can run okay on stock. The upgrade to the Xeon will only really make a 5-10% difference in games and the biggest difference it will make is in rendering. If you are not doing renders stick with the i5 and save a few bucks.
  13. I said the cooler is unnecessary, and Johnny guru Gave the 500B and 600B an 8.7. They only had a couple issues and should last a few years. The i5 is also a great choice. And at the beginning I said this was MY future build, minus the ssd. I needed the Xeon for recording and rendering. OP. if you want to save 50 bucks, definetely opt for the i5. The SSD was cheap, and is still better than an HDD for OS.

    EDIT: PSU is a tier 3 made by HEC. It had a couple taiwanese caps but a good safety, and excellent performance for its price. Also, huge warranty from EVGA
  14. B is given a tier 4 because of degrading issues. JonnyGuru only discusses stuff out of the box.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming Gaming PCs Build Components