970 Extreme4 with 850 Pro 256GB slow random read/write speeds

whatsThat

Reputable
Sep 4, 2015
I bought a new 850 Pro ssd and did a clean installation of windows 10 Pro. Samsung's own magician software shows that random read is about ~60K iops and write ~50K iops. These should be showing around 90K - 100K iops. Also as ssd and other sw that I've tested showed similar results.

I've checked settings from bios and windows, but nothing seems to work. SSD is in sata3-port and using AHCI settings.

I haven't find anything from internet that could help.
Do you have any ideas?

Welcome to the community, whatsThat!

I'd recommend you to check the SSD manufacturer's website for any firmware updates for your model and make sure you have the latest one (You might as well check the iRST driver). You should also consider benchmarking the results from this tool and test the SSD with another utility. Here's a discussion from the forum with some third-party suggestions: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1926483/ssd-diagnostic-tools.html
And another thread where the user has a similar problem, maybe the solution there will work for you too: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1726401/samsung-840-pro-ssd-low-write-speeds.html

Good luck! :)
SuperSoph_WD

whatsThat

Reputable
Sep 4, 2015
Hi and thanks.

I've already checked that ssd is using the latest firmware. Also motherboard bios is updated to the latest version.

My cpu is AMD's 965be and I think iRST driver is not compatible with amd motherboard?

I'll check those other threads better after the weekend. But I did test Crystaldiskinfo already and it didn't show anything suspicious.

I have pretty good understanding of using ssd:s and installing OS to them, but this is something that I just don't get.

UllrichNumber7

Reputable
Sep 10, 2015

Hey! I have the same issue. I am nearly positive it has to do with Windows 10. I had this SSD (850 Evo 500gb) on my computer with Windows 8, and my benchmarks for random read and write were both above the "max" benchmarks of 98000 and 90000 respectively. When I moved to Windows 10 nothing changed except the operating system, but my random read and write speeds are 48000 and 40000 respectively. They halved when I upgraded. I haven't noticed the actual performance difference, but the benchmark says its different.

Hey there again, @whatsThat and welcome to @UllrichNumber7!

I guess both of you, guys, should consider contacting MS or your SSD manufacturer's customer support. I suppose their technical assistance will help you, because it does seem like some sort of incompatibility. Maybe even ask if there are any future firmware updates to be expected.
Try using the other SSD diagnostic tools as well and benchmark the results.

Best of luck to you both. Either way, it doesn't sound like a hardware issue to me.
Cheers,
SuperSoph_WD

whatsThat

Reputable
Sep 4, 2015

Hi. I haven't found any solution to this problem. I also asked from MS online help, but they had no clue and advised to ask from samsung. :/

Hi again, whatsThat!

This seems very unfortunate and frustrating! :/ Maybe it's time to consider RMA-ing your SSD and contacting the manufacturer's customer support. I believe they will provide you with a working replacement soon enough and hopefully you'd be able to use the solid-state drive accordingly.

Best of luck! Hope I was able to help out even a bit!
SuperSoph_WD