System Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
MOBO: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Tri-X Video Card
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 1000W 80+ Silver Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Display: BENQ GW2255 22" x2

I built my PC rig almost one year ago. I have had absolutely no problems with it. This machine has ran many different game titles (Bioshock Infinite, Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag) on ultra or very high graphics with no problems and little heat. My case is very open and well ventilated. It typically sits around 60-70 degrees Celsius. I ran UNIGINE Heaven and scored ~2200 with 80 fps on ultra. Topped out at 90 Celsius at the end of the benchmark. I've never had high temps during games.

Today, I came home from work and booted up Counter Strike: Global Offensive. Played through about 45 minutes of the game, with a bit of heat. Suddenly, my display crashed on both monitors with an audio loop in my headset. I couldn't turn my PC off from the case, and I had to kill power through the switch on the PSU. I rebooted immediately, and went back in, thinking it was a strange 1-off thing. Game booted, rejoined, and finished after another 15 minutes. Same crash happened shortly thereafter. I continued to reboot and would crash at varying times or not even startup at all. Crashes occurred immediately after PC turned on, at Windows login, at game startup, etc. I observed the LEDs on my MOBO, and at times the VGA LED would light up, and at times the Boot Device L ED would light up. Sometimes both would light up, hold, and then go off. Often the VGA light would stay red and the PC would simply crash. Also, occasionally the GPU fans would go full-speed.

I am within RMA Warranty on my GPU, but I want to identify the problem (if it is the GPU, or not?) before I make a claim. I've done a lot of reading on the forums of TW and other sites, and can't seem to find the same problem. Any suggestions, questions, etc., are much appreciated. Thanks TW Community!

Update: I did reset CMOS, moved GPU to secondary slot (and removed and reattached cables), removed and reattached RAM. Didn't fix the problem. Removed GPU altogether and used DVI to connect to onboard display. PC is working fine, though of course no GPU. Hope this helps to narrow down the problems.

Solution
90 degrees is very hot for our Sapphire cards. Mine hits just 74 degrees on Heaven bench. I scored ~2000 on Heaven and with 67fps.

So performance wise your GPU is fine but our aftermarket coolers should keep the card cooler. I would point directly at your GPU,
I would straight away RMA it. Possibly bad contact with Sapphires heatsink, you could take it apart and reapply thermal pads and paste but that would void warranty. So if I were you I would see about getting a new one. However r9 290's are slowly fading out for r9 390's, which are a rebrand.
r9 290's were apparently designed to run at 90 degrees but that's still odd.

What you can try before that though, is un-install drivers and install the newest. Check GPU clock speeds and...

Anonymouselite5

Distinguished
90 degrees is very hot for our Sapphire cards. Mine hits just 74 degrees on Heaven bench. I scored ~2000 on Heaven and with 67fps.

So performance wise your GPU is fine but our aftermarket coolers should keep the card cooler. I would point directly at your GPU,
I would straight away RMA it. Possibly bad contact with Sapphires heatsink, you could take it apart and reapply thermal pads and paste but that would void warranty. So if I were you I would see about getting a new one. However r9 290's are slowly fading out for r9 390's, which are a rebrand.
r9 290's were apparently designed to run at 90 degrees but that's still odd.

What you can try before that though, is un-install drivers and install the newest. Check GPU clock speeds and voltages and memory speeds.

Also check PCI-E power cables, check for damage (you have removed them though)
The rest of your PC works fine, so the only other point that it could be is your PSU, perhaps under load it has problems. You could always test it in a friends PC or another PC.
I would still point to your GPU to be the problem here. As it does heat up too much. Boot device problems and VGA failures could be due to a problem with the PSU though.

So what I would do is:
1. return your GPU, even if it is not the cause of crashing the temps are still way too high.
2. test your PSU in a friends PC or other PC, Might be better to test a different PSU in your PC and see if it crashes.
However you could always get your new GPU, and if problems continue the next source I would point to is the PSU.

edit: also have you overclocked your GPU?

Solution

MicahAlford

Reputable
Aug 19, 2014
Well, I think I may have actually found the problem. I had checked the cables connecting the PSU with the GPU. Apparently, in my rush, I did not inspect the cables closely enough. After a few hours of troubleshooting and rechecking everything, I gave the cables a thorough inspection, and I had a buddy of mine do the same. We came to the conclusion that one of the 5-pin to Molex cables appeared to have a short in it. I rummaged through my PC supplies and a found a replacement, and so far (knock on wood) everything is working flawlessly. Thank you very much Anonymouselite5, for your reply. I am definitely going to consider RMA-ing the R9 290 if I have any more heat spikes such as that one. Thanks again!

Anonymouselite5

Distinguished

Glad you found the problem ;)
If your GPU is fine, and you still have heat problems I would look up a tutorial possibly. Take apart the heatsink from the card and just re-apply some thermal paste and thermal pads. Should fix your heat issues.
However if you're not comfortable with that, it's up to you.

-good luck