i5 4590 vs 4690k?

Feliks

Honorable
Jul 24, 2015
My build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Feliks/saved/#view=fvKV3C

I was wondering how much of an improvement it would be to go with the 4690k over the 4590. Honestly I am on a tight budget and it's about $40 more but it can overclock. I'm mainly using this build for gaming and school and I know CPU barely affects FPS. Will this CPU (overclocked) have a noticeable enough difference for it to be $40 extra dollars on my budget or should I just stick with the 4590?

Solution
If you ask me I say the 4690k is worth the 40 extra dollars.

The 4590 will certainly be enough for what you want to do,but years down the road when things start to become too much for your 4590 to keep up with, if you had gotten the 4690k you could just overclock the hell out of it and use it for another year or two instead of having to buy a whole new CPU. I would rather spend an extra 40 now, and get more use out of my CPU later on.

That aside, if you choose to, you can squeeze more performance out of it now (or whenever you want).

Your call, but that is my opinion.

rowdymoody

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
If you ask me I say the 4690k is worth the 40 extra dollars.

The 4590 will certainly be enough for what you want to do,but years down the road when things start to become too much for your 4590 to keep up with, if you had gotten the 4690k you could just overclock the hell out of it and use it for another year or two instead of having to buy a whole new CPU. I would rather spend an extra 40 now, and get more use out of my CPU later on.

That aside, if you choose to, you can squeeze more performance out of it now (or whenever you want).

Your call, but that is my opinion.

Solution

Feliks

Honorable
Jul 24, 2015

How many years down the road? Honestly I figured with the Z97 Motherboard I can upgrade a CPU down the road later to a better CPU than both em' (probably one of the Xenons). Also, what do you mean becomes too tough for it to keep up with? The CPU degrading in performance or the standards getting raised?

rowdymoody

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
I just meant standards being raised. No telling for sure how many years down the road, as it is hard to foresee what sort of turns technology will make in the coming years.

I have been running an i5 3570k since it was released in early 2012. I can overclock it quite well, but not as good as some others. Currently, I notice no real benefit in performance in anything I do having it overclocked compared to running stock. My plan is to just keep it stock for another few years until things start to present more of a challenge for it, AND THEN I will overclock it as high as it will go and just run it into the ground until it is time to upgrade.

In my past experience I have kept CPUS for about 6 years before upgrading to the latest and greatest again. But - it does depend on how technology advances in the upcoming years.

Feliks

Honorable
Jul 24, 2015

This helped a lot. And yes, I still know people using Ivy/Sandy Bridge and getting along just fine, so true haha. Thank you! (I'm probably going to just stick with the 4590 :)