i5 2300 vs i3-4150? is the 2300 worth it to upgrade from 4150?

Joseph Locicero

Reputable
Dec 21, 2014
So i was thinking swapping PC's with my Cousin and I'll be arranging parts like for example hes gonna keep his PSU..Im gonna keep mine..And hes gonna keep his GPU, I'll keep mine..And I was thinking is it worth it to get the 2300 from him? because he Doesn't even game or do anything hardcore but yeah. I game ALOT and will Use and unreal engine from time to time So is it worth it?

Solution
I would only take the 2300 at this point if I was doing a lot of things in which I saw the benefit of having four cores rather than two and did not use things that thrived on single-thread performance. The i3 here has better single thread performance than the i5 here, which is still extremely important in gaming. For an office-type PC doing a lot in Excel or Statistica or something, I would take the i5, but I would personally keep this i3 in your situation.

The i5 wouldn't be notably *worse* than the i3 in those single-thread applications outside of benchmarks -- you won't really notice that difference in real-life -- that's not the only consideration involved. You're also moving to a platform that's a couple generations older with...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I would only take the 2300 at this point if I was doing a lot of things in which I saw the benefit of having four cores rather than two and did not use things that thrived on single-thread performance. The i3 here has better single thread performance than the i5 here, which is still extremely important in gaming. For an office-type PC doing a lot in Excel or Statistica or something, I would take the i5, but I would personally keep this i3 in your situation.

The i5 wouldn't be notably *worse* than the i3 in those single-thread applications outside of benchmarks -- you won't really notice that difference in real-life -- that's not the only consideration involved. You're also moving to a platform that's a couple generations older with a motherboard that is also 3 years older.

I don't think it's really worth the trouble. If you want to upgrade your CPU, I'd look at straight CPU upgrades on current motherboard rather than going back in time.

Solution