Fx 8350 vs i5 4690

Juihiii

Reputable
Jun 22, 2015
Hi! I'm building my first computer and i can't decide my cpu. Things I would do on computer is video editing, 3d modeling and some light gaming. Softwares that i use are: lightworks and blender.
So do I take amd fx-8350 or i5 4690 (and yes no 4690k just 4690). I can't afford even 4690k.
My other specs are:
gtx 560ti dcii top GPU
16gb ram

Solution

I'd go for the 8320 and with the rest of the money difference from the 8350, I'd get a higher end cooler if it was enough money to do so.

miggtt699

Distinguished

I'm going to say: Go for the FX8350 if you need the cores, in fact, go for a FX-8320 and buy a cooler with the rest of the money you're spending on the FX 8350, and give it a little bump on the clockspeed to match the FX8350, you'll get a much quieter machine and you get more for your money.

I say this because I went from an Intel 4690 (non K) to a Xeon X5650 (six core/twelve thread) processor, and running at 2.66Ghz (which is it's stock clock), I saw rendering times decrease on Sony Vegas and got better 3D rendering scores (basically, faster rendering in Cinema4D).

I don't know or use the programs you said you would, but this was my experience with Sony Vegas and Cinema4D.

It is arguable that the 4690 has a better performance per core and beats the FX in some areas yes, but if you use programs that completely utilize all cores of a processor, you'd be better off with the FX in this case.

In gaming, there's a difference, the Intel processor would be better in this case, but with your GTX 560 Ti DCu II, you wouldn't stretch either processor enough for it to be a bottleneck unless you're playing at low settings. (I've had this card as well, in today's games, doesn't take much to knock it to it's knees.)

If you're going for the FX, you can also pick up a better, beefier motherboard for better system stability and even possibly overclock to 4.5-4.8Ghz which will give you a big boost when it comes to multicore rendering and single core performance in the future, if you feel the need to do so.

This of course, is my opinion.

Juihiii

Reputable
Jun 22, 2015
Actually I'm going to buy cooler master hyper evo 212 for cpu cooler and asrock fatal1ty 970 mobo and i'm plannint to do some overclock (like 4.4-4-5 if 8530 stays stable and cool). Lightworks do use all available cores. So do I take 8320 or 8350?

miggtt699

Distinguished

I'd go for the 8320 and with the rest of the money difference from the 8350, I'd get a higher end cooler if it was enough money to do so.

Solution