fx 8300 gift question list

IgorNew

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014
Hi i got fx 8300 and gigabyte 990fxa ud3 (rev 1.2 but im not 100% sure on rev as i got cpu and mobo without box). As im not expert (still not someone who don't know a bit) i have a list of questions.
What gpu to pair with it? will single r9 390 or gtx 970 be to much for it?
How good is it for gaming and rendering?
Is that mobo any good?
How good can it be oc? Can it go 4.5-4.8GHz if yes what budget cooler will you suggest?
What are your opinions on its 8 cores for future i know it is bad compared to i3 / i5 cos most games use 2-4 threads so 4-6 of its cores does nothing in most case but are there games that can use it to its fullest power (games that can use more than 4 cores if there are)?
If gpu load is 99% and no core goes above 60-70% will there be any difference in fps compared to i5 in same scenario 99% gpu not full cpu usage?
Im not looking for other cpu suggestions as i already got that free cpu + mobo.

1) a gtx970 would be fine

2) yes, that's a good motherboard

3) most piledrivers when matched with a good cpu cooler (corsair h80i level performance) will hit 4.7ghz on an overclock. If you are lucky it will go higher (how high will depend on the quality of the cpu cooler airflow over the motherboard and how lucky you were in getting the chip)

4) Piledrivers don't overclock great on air. They have some amazing temp swings that tend to be handled better by water cooling settups. So i don't know if i can suggest a great overclocking, cheap cooler. With a Coolermaster Hyper Evo 212 you might get to 4.3 ghz, maybe 4.4ghz if you're lucky, with a high end air cooler you'll probably get to 4.7ghz, but you won't get over the piledriver "voltage" wall (around 4.5-4.7ghz piledriver cpus require MUCH higher voltage for every 100mhz increase in clock speed then they do at lower clock speeds), which a closed loop will get you over. Check my signature, those clock speeds were accomplished with a Corsair h100. Using a NH-D14, i wasn't able to get over 4.8ghz with that same cpu.

5) with dx12 8 cores will still be used. outside of gaming those fx8 cores are very nice cpus. Even in gaming with a good overclock (4.8 or so) you'll get to 60fps in most games. It's the definition of "good enough"

6) nope

there isn't really a "safe" vcore, there are "safe" tempratures.

If you have a high bleed chip, then sure, you'll be able to run it at 1.55 or 1.60V. if you have a low bleed chip it won't even boot into windows with that much vcore in it. most 8300s are low bleed chips. you'll probably be hitting your max temps somewhere around 1.45-1.5V

listen, overclocking an fx chip is different from overclocking an intel. It's not a voltage based type of overclocking it's 100% temperature based. so every chip is different and you have to be careful as even slight bumps in vcore can make the chip overheat.

TRENDING THREADS