Solved

Blue Screen of Death twice a day.

I attached a picture of the BSOD. I don't know what is causing this. Built this computer myself 7 years ago. Replaced the video card a few times. I've only had the bsod since recently. It's happened at numerous times, opening Guildwars2 or Closing Opera.



http://imgur.com/EcaRYST
Sometimes also, the whole computer freezes and there is nothing I can do.

I am trying to find not only what this is but some type of solution.

Thanks

11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about blue screen death day
  1. have you tried upgrading your drivers thru windows updater?
  2. Best answer
    Bad memory address used by win32k.sys.
    Update bios or reset it to defaults, run memtest to confirm memory is ok.

    Start cmd.exe as an admin
    Run
    Sfc.exe. /scannow
    Run malwarebytes to check for malware infection of win32k driver
  3. johnbl said:
    Bad memory address used by win32k.sys.
    Update bios or reset it to defaults, run memtest to confirm memory is ok.

    Start cmd.exe as an admin
    Run
    Sfc.exe. /scannow
    Run mawRebytes to check for malware infection of win32k driver


    I ran the sfc.exe./scannow. It found corrupt files and repaired them. Repair changes will take effect after reboot.

    I'll run malwarebytes after the reboot.

    So, I am rebooting now
  4. And then all was peaceful and silent.
  5. Thanks Johnbl. After the reboot I updated and ran malwarebytes. No viruses found.

    No BSOD's since then.

    Thanks guys
  6. Just got another BSOD. I went to close Opera Browser--had 5 tabs open, and closed them all at the same time and boom=bsod.

    Problem isn't fixed yet. I just ran memtest and found no problems.

    I have heard that updating bios can be dangerous. How would I do that?
    or how I can reset it back to default?
  7. on older machines you can also get this type of error because of overheating, where a CPU fan gets clogged by dust and stops or runs slow. if this is the case you can often just blow the dust out of the PSU, CPU and GPU fans.

    -each motherboard has a different method of updating the BIOS
    - to reset the BIOS to defaults, you have to get in BIOS and check the menus, often it will say something like
    "set bios to optimized defaults" You select it, confirm and reboot your machine.

    from the photo all i can see is that
    win32k.sys dated 51ad4aca (Mon Jun 03 19:02:50 2013)
    stopped the system because of error code 0xc0000005 (invalid memory address)

    need the actual memory dump file from c:\windows\minidump directory to figure out likely causes.


    updating the BIOS is pretty safe these days.
    You can also put your memory dump on a server like microsoft onedrive, make it public and post a link.
    I can take a look at it with a windows debugger and see why windows shutdown your system.

    enderzshadow said:
    Just got another BSOD. I went to close Opera Browser--had 5 tabs open, and closed them all at the same time and boom=bsod.

    Problem isn't fixed yet. I just ran memtest and found no problems.

    I have heard that updating bios can be dangerous. How would I do that?
    or how I can reset it back to default?
  8. johnbl said:
    on older machines you can also get this type of error because of overheating, where a CPU fan gets clogged by dust and stops or runs slow. if this is the case you can often just blow the dust out of the PSU, CPU and GPU fans.

    -each motherboard has a different method of updating the BIOS
    - to reset the BIOS to defaults, you have to get in BIOS and check the menus, often it will say something like
    "set bios to optimized defaults" You select it, confirm and reboot your machine.

    from the photo all i can see is that
    win32k.sys dated 51ad4aca (Mon Jun 03 19:02:50 2013)
    stopped the system because of error code 0xc0000005 (invalid memory address)

    need the actual memory dump file from c:\windows\minidump directory to figure out likely causes.


    updating the BIOS is pretty safe these days.
    You can also put your memory dump on a server like microsoft onedrive, make it public and post a link.
    I can take a look at it with a windows debugger and see why windows shutdown your system.

    enderzshadow said:
    Just got another BSOD. I went to close Opera Browser--had 5 tabs open, and closed them all at the same time and boom=bsod.

    Problem isn't fixed yet. I just ran memtest and found no problems.

    I have heard that updating bios can be dangerous. How would I do that?
    or how I can reset it back to default?





    So I went to the minidump location and it's empty. I will see if I can configure windows to create a minidump when something goes wrong and the next time it bsod's I will have something to show you.
  9. I went in and configured windows to create a mini dump and I also reset the bios back to default.

    I almost thought the problem was gone, but then I got a BSOD just a few mins ago. I got excited because now I can upload the mini dump file. But there is nothing there.

    I even checked to make sure that I still had it set up right. System properties > start up and recovery Small Memory Dump 128kb and small dump directory %SystemRoot%\Minidump <--is that the right location? That's how it was when I first saw it.

    Am I missing something? Is there more than one minidump ? I am going to C, Windows, Minidump and nothing there. I thought maybe the file was invisible for some reason, but it's visible.
  10. %systemroot% is a variable, for most system it will now just be set to C:\windows

    so look in the c:\windows\minidump directory for .dmp files (minidump)
    or c:\windows\memory.dmp for a kernel or full memory dump file.

    enderzshadow said:

    I went in and configured windows to create a mini dump and I also reset the bios back to default.

    I almost thought the problem was gone, but then I got a BSOD just a few mins ago. I got excited because now I can upload the mini dump file. But there is nothing there.

    I even checked to make sure that I still had it set up right. System properties > start up and recovery Small Memory Dump 128kb and small dump directory %SystemRoot%\Minidump <--is that the right location? That's how it was when I first saw it.

    Am I missing something? Is there more than one minidump ? I am going to C, Windows, Minidump and nothing there. I thought maybe the file was invisible for some reason, but it's visible.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows Vista Blue Screen Graphics Cards Hard Drives Computers