can an i5 4690 last for 4-5 years?

Solution

No, basically no difference for gaming, maybe 2-3 fps. An i5 is excellent for gaming.

DiegoD

Honorable
May 12, 2015
Yeah, you should be fine for 3-4 years after which you'll be playing on slightly lower settings.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to get the 6600k, It isn't much more, $20 (not sure in euros), and performance wise you will definitely see a difference.

Intel's Sandy Bridge released in January of '11, and that is still very much a good gaming Cpu. If you paired that with an Nvidia 970 or higher, you'd be gaming at max settings for 1080p resolution, and that Cpu is almost 5 years old now.

So I'd expect that much newer Cpu to last 4+ years easy. Like others have said though, your most important piece of hardware is going to be the video card for games. However, the 4590 should be strong enough to feed enough information to the newest graphics card in 4 years, so your still good to go.

InvalidError

Titan
If you look at how little CPU performance improvement there has been over the past 4-5 years and combine that with how die shrinks are slowing down, even an i5-2500 might remain relevant for another 5+ years.

As far as graphics details and resolution go, this is primarily determined by the GPU since most of the CPU's work is resolution/detail-agnostic.

Yeah, sure it can.

I bought my Q9450 back in 2008 when it was released and basically used it to play games until 2014 when I decided to upgrade to the Core i5-4670k. I was going to put the Q9450 in my HTPC, but I got lazy... I will probably do it when I replace hard drives in the HPTC that are still working fine but will be 6 years old next year.

InvalidError

Titan

For the CPU, I think multiple posts above should have made it abundantly clear that the i5-4690 should last for quite a while. Unless there are paradigm shifts in software development to make more cores useful in mainstream software, I would not be too surprised if people still used their i5-2400 and up 10 years from now: at 6%/year performance improvement rate based on the past five years, mainstream CPUs 10 years from now would only be twice as fast.

For the GPU, that depends entirely on your needs and expectations. If you decide to upgrade to a 4k monitor two years from now, you might decide to bury the 980Ti because it is far too slow to handle that on its own and 16nm GPUs with HBM can handle it far better than even a pair of 980Ti.

It can as long as you are alright with reduced performance over the years and lowering the graphics settings as it ages (depending on the game). I held on to my Radeon HD 5850 from 2009 to 2014 along with my Q9450. Combined they did decently enough playing games at 1080p with medium settings. However, starting in 2012 I began to play games less often. Fallout 4 is going to be the 1st game I will buy this year.

elneelo

Reputable
Sep 9, 2015

No, basically no difference for gaming, maybe 2-3 fps. An i5 is excellent for gaming.

Solution