deepcool lucifer
msi gaming gtx 970
8gb kingstoin hyper x
coolermaster thunder 500
asus m5a97 le r2.0

so should i just get intel 4790k with h81
or a nice mother board and psu for my fx 8320

Solution
If your CPU is throttling under load then its entirely down to the vrm's on the board - the le has never been any good for 8 cores

On a cheaper option the MSI 970 gaming board is capable of sli although I don't think you'll ever need to sli a 970 in all honesty.

TheProtagonis

Reputable
Sep 2, 2015

Turn down all of your settings. E.g. V-Sync, Anti Aliasing
Especially turn down the buffering settings

So, ignore the annoying plug for buying an Intel chip, as that is NOT your problem with this game and your current setup.

Make sure that your card is indeed in the x16 PCI-E slot on the motherboard - some 970 chipsets have on x16 and one x4 or x8 or something like that.

Make sure that VSync in the Nvidia control panel is turned OFF (wonder if it's limiting it there).

With all graphics settings turned on, I'm seeing 105-120 FPS on my FX-8320 at stock 3.5 GHz speeds.

I agree, you should be getting more fps with your current setup.
Have you tried your cpu at stock ? I still wonder if it's getting too hot.
Is your driver trying dynamic super resolution? http://www.pcgamer.com/nvidias-dynamic-super-resolution-is-downsampling-made-easy/
That would be a huge performance hit.
Make sure vsync is off like others said.

Just to confirm - your GPU is in the *blue* PCI-E slot nearest the CPU end of the board?

Have you tried completely uninstalling + reinstalling Nvidia drivers?

Does your system have strangely high CPU usage at idle?

I really doubt that VRM's are throttling at FX-8320 stock speeds, but you could try pointing a big fan at the inside of the computer with the side off and see if it makes any difference at all.

Just trying to figure out why there is such a huge discrepancy between the speeds on my almost identical build and yours, with the only real difference being the motherboard.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
1) Make a profile for Dota 2 and set maximum performance in Nvidia Control Panel
2) Set Power Options in Windows to Maximum Performance for the CPU to be used at maximum performance
3) When you start Dota 2, only at the start, but EVERY time, check for core parking issues so that the game will be able to run on all 8 CPU threads. This goes for every game ever.

^ you're misunderstanding - I know the Lucifer , its a top cooler & I'm sure your CPU temps are great .
Its the board temps that I'm talking about & the Lucifer will not help with those.

Do a prime95 test with amd overdrive CPU status tab onscreen & I'm sure you'll see your clocks bouncing all over the place.