Which motherboards can supply enough power for the AMD FX-9590 4.7GHz processor?

I'd like to use the FX 9590 processor (priced at $223.99), but I'm not sure which motherboard will be capable/compatible with it's maxed-out power consumption. It seems that the FX 9590's thermal design power is 220 watts... There in lays the problem! The power consumption.

QUESTION: Can someone please answer my dilemma?

PCPartBuilder lists 9 motherboards to choose from:

1. Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 $99.99 Unknown
2. Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 $109.99 Supports CPU up to 140 watts
3. Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z $201.05 Supports CPU up to 140 watts
4. Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 $166.13 Supports CPU up to 140 watts
5. ASRock 990FX Extreme9 $159.99 Unknown
6. ASRock 990FX Extreme6 $103.98 Unknown
7. Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 $153.98 Unknown
8. Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 R5 $141.98 Unknown

Here's my purposed build:

CPU: AMD FX-9590 4.7GHz 8-Core OEM/Tray Processor $223.99 SuperBiiz
Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M 76.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $89.99 Newegg
Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z ATX AM3+ Motherboard $201.05 Amazon
RAM: G.Skill Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory $79.99 Newegg
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $89.89 OutletPC
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB FTW ACX 2.0 Video Card $319.00 NCIX US
Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO ATX Desktop Case $76.99 Newegg
Power Supply: (Estimated wattage is 476W, but I haven't picked one yet)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer $52.98 OutletPC
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) $97.89 OutletPC

Approx Base Total: $1299.77
12 answers Last reply
More about motherboards supply power amd 9590 7ghz processor
  1. 9590 is not worth it. If you want an AMD build, just go for an 8320. But for $1300 you could get a much better Intel build.
  2. NaterGator said:
    I'd like to use the FX 9590 processor (priced at $223.99), but I'm not sure which motherboard will be capable/compatible with it's maxed-out power consumption. It seems that the FX 9590's thermal design power is 220 watts... There in lays the problem! The power consumption.

    QUESTION: Can someone please answer my dilemma?

    PCPartBuilder lists 9 motherboards to choose from:

    1. Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 $99.99 Unknown
    2. Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 $109.99 Supports CPU up to 140 watts
    3. Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z $201.05 Supports CPU up to 140 watts
    4. Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 $166.13 Supports CPU up to 140 watts
    5. ASRock 990FX Extreme9 $159.99 Unknown
    6. ASRock 990FX Extreme6 $103.98 Unknown
    7. Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 $153.98 Unknown
    8. Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 R5 $141.98 Unknown

    Here's my purposed build:

    CPU: AMD FX-9590 4.7GHz 8-Core OEM/Tray Processor $223.99 SuperBiiz
    Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M 76.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $89.99 Newegg
    Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z ATX AM3+ Motherboard $201.05 Amazon
    RAM: G.Skill Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory $79.99 Newegg
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $89.89 OutletPC
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB FTW ACX 2.0 Video Card $319.00 NCIX US
    Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO ATX Desktop Case $76.99 Newegg
    Power Supply: (Estimated wattage is 476W, but I haven't picked one yet)
    Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer $52.98 OutletPC
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) $97.89 OutletPC

    Approx Base Total: $1299.77



    Your choices for the 9000 series:

    Asrock 970 Performance
    ASRock 990FX Extreme9
    ASRock 990FX Extreme6
    Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
    Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 R4.0\5.0
    Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
    Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7
    MSI 990FXA-GD80V2

    AMD.COM

    Warning: This power draw of this CPU is almost twice that of the average CPU. Due to this, AMD recommends using at minimum a 1000W power supply. For cooling, AMD recommends using either either closed loop liquid cooling or full system liquid cooling.
  3. I've been told that the Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z ATX AM3+ Motherboard will work... But under full load doesn't the CPU require up to 220 watts? If ASUS claims that they only support CPUs up to 140 watts - how does the chip operate at max frequency?
  4. Look in my post above.

    Power supply is stated at 1000w , but for a 1 card setup 850w will do.
  5. Im going to have to jump on the dont buy this cpu bandwagon. In my opinion the 9590 is the most ridiculous thing AMD has ever come up with if you really want an amd system just get an 8320 and overclock it. For that price you could have an equivalent intel system which will perform much better in the majority of circumstances especially gaming.
  6. Also, since I'm making this PC for playing PVP intensive Warlord's of Draenor; Should I be using an Intel CPU instead?
  7. NaterGator said:
    Also, since I'm making this PC for playing PVP intensive Warlord's of Draenor; Should I be using an Intel CPU instead?


    If you want the best performance yes, in some games a haswell i3 will out perform a 9590 and in the majority of games any modern i5 will out perform the 9590.
  8. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    NaterGator said:
    I'd like to use the FX 9590 processor (priced at $223.99), but I'm not sure which motherboard will be capable/compatible with it's maxed-out power consumption. It seems that the FX 9590's thermal design power is 220 watts... There in lays the problem! The power consumption.

    QUESTION: Can someone please answer my dilemma?

    PCPartBuilder lists 9 motherboards to choose from:

    1. Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 $99.99 Unknown
    2. Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 $109.99 Supports CPU up to 140 watts
    3. Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z $201.05 Supports CPU up to 140 watts
    4. Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 $166.13 Supports CPU up to 140 watts
    5. ASRock 990FX Extreme9 $159.99 Unknown
    6. ASRock 990FX Extreme6 $103.98 Unknown
    7. Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 $153.98 Unknown
    8. Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 R5 $141.98 Unknown

    Here's my purposed build:

    CPU: AMD FX-9590 4.7GHz 8-Core OEM/Tray Processor $223.99 SuperBiiz
    Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M 76.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $89.99 Newegg
    Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z ATX AM3+ Motherboard $201.05 Amazon
    RAM: G.Skill Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory $79.99 Newegg
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $89.89 OutletPC
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB FTW ACX 2.0 Video Card $319.00 NCIX US
    Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO ATX Desktop Case $76.99 Newegg
    Power Supply: (Estimated wattage is 476W, but I haven't picked one yet)
    Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer $52.98 OutletPC
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) $97.89 OutletPC

    Approx Base Total: $1299.77



    Your choices for the 9000 series:

    Asrock 970 Performance
    ASRock 990FX Extreme9
    ASRock 990FX Extreme6
    Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
    Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 R4.0\5.0
    Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
    Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7
    MSI 990FXA-GD80V2

    AMD.COM

    Warning: This power draw of this CPU is almost twice that of the average CPU. Due to this, AMD recommends using at minimum a 1000W power supply. For cooling, AMD recommends using either either closed loop liquid cooling or full system liquid cooling.
  9. For Warlord's of Draenor, what's better than running a 9590 at 4.7GHz in the $240 or less range?
    Asking for Help? - Post Detailed Computer Specs
    Help us help you by posting detailed specifications of your computer when you ask your question.Post these model numbers when applicable:CPU/APU: Is it overclocked?Motherboard:RAM: model number, number of dimms, and how fast it is running now.Power Supply:... Read More
  10. iLiftFood said:
    9590 is not worth it. If you want an AMD build, just go for an 8320. But for $1300 you could get a much better Intel build.


    What would be a better Intel build for the same price?
  11. For your budget, i'd go with something like this:

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($242.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: ASRock H97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($75.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Mushkin Stealth 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($71.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ B&H)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($328.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO ATX Desktop Case ($91.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($97.89 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1139.70
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-15 18:04 EDT-0400

    You can even sneak a 980 in there.
  12. Avoid the 9590 , it's a thermal nightmare , go with an intel build.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Processors