If my R9-290 stays between 71-78 degrees when overclocked is it safe?

Ferrariassassin

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2014
My old MSI R9-290 is overclocked to 1100MHz core and 1500MHz memory and it is stable and stays below 80 degrees when at full load usually 75 degrees and never reaches 80. That being said i am worried because so etimes when i do leave it overclocked and game for a long time the next day i see purple dots all over my monitor and goes away the next day and i heard its from the gpu. And sometimes after playing a game over clocked for a long time i will sometimes not be able to play hardly any games because when i do i get 5 fps or lower even on games like crysis 1 with the lowest settings and resolution but the next day its fine and i can go back to playing witcher 3 with every setting all the way up including hairworks and get a good 39-50 fps.Sorry if i am not explaining it well but what i mean is that when i overclock it i get great fps and more performance but when i go to play he next day its like my r9 290 turns into an R7 240 lol. So i guess overclocking or the 75 degrees is to hot i think and is why i want to watercool but there is no where to find a water cooling for the MSI R9-290.

Solution
75 - 80 C isn't all that bad of a temperature, from the sounds of it, your memory is failing, that's whats causing the artifacts (the purple dots), this can be from temp, or it could just be its time to go. Try just the core overclock, and downclock the memory, or put it back to stock and see what happens, there really isn't a good reason to overclock memory anyhow, yes it makes the card a little bit faster, but it adds heat, and heat is the enemy of the computer. If clocking the RAM back doesn't do the trick then you might have to RMA the card if it's still under warranty. If not, maybe time to find a new one, the NVidia cards OC pretty awesomely if that's your thing, at 1080p, there are a bunch of good enough cards that have more...
75 - 80 C isn't all that bad of a temperature, from the sounds of it, your memory is failing, that's whats causing the artifacts (the purple dots), this can be from temp, or it could just be its time to go. Try just the core overclock, and downclock the memory, or put it back to stock and see what happens, there really isn't a good reason to overclock memory anyhow, yes it makes the card a little bit faster, but it adds heat, and heat is the enemy of the computer. If clocking the RAM back doesn't do the trick then you might have to RMA the card if it's still under warranty. If not, maybe time to find a new one, the NVidia cards OC pretty awesomely if that's your thing, at 1080p, there are a bunch of good enough cards that have more than satisfactory frame rates at high/highest settings.

Solution

Ferrariassassin

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2014

Well i am getting an NVIDIA GTX 980 Classified because its on sale for $500 but everyone tells me that its such a small performance gain from my 290 so i would be paying $500 or more just for about %5 better performance. I would be able to use the NVIDIA Gamewroks settings on Batman Arkham Knight if i have an NVIDIA card because NVIDIA locked them out to all AMD users. And if i keep my card at stock 1007MHz core and 1250MHz memory i can game or stress test for 24 hours straight and nothing EVERY bad happens no purple dots no nothing. So it could be just the memory.