Fx 6300 Core unlocking?

mariogamer9

Reputable
May 31, 2015
I have a fx 6300 and a asus m5 a97 r2.0. I heard about core unlocking and hidden cores and I wanted to know more. Does my mobo and cpu support core unlocking? And why would there be hidden cores? It just dosent make sense that manufacturers would put 4 cores on a cpu and sell it as 2!

Solution
no, the fx cpu's can not have cores unlocked. But there are some models that have cores locked away, and yes it does make sense to do so. Some phenon cpu's have locked cores, you can turn certain quad core's into hex cores. The reason they do this is because the 2 locked cores, may not perform up to their spec, may be unstable. Rather than throw them away, they disable the cores and repackege them as quad cores. Many people have managed to unlock them, and by tweaking can get them stable.
no, the fx cpu's can not have cores unlocked. But there are some models that have cores locked away, and yes it does make sense to do so. Some phenon cpu's have locked cores, you can turn certain quad core's into hex cores. The reason they do this is because the 2 locked cores, may not perform up to their spec, may be unstable. Rather than throw them away, they disable the cores and repackege them as quad cores. Many people have managed to unlock them, and by tweaking can get them stable.

Solution

mariogamer9

Reputable
May 31, 2015
Thanks for the fast responses. I wish I could put all of you answers as solutions but I can't. It still makes no sense because I have seen videos of before and after and some people have gone from 30 fps to 70 in bf4.

even if you could unlock to an 8 core, gains in bf4 would be minimal. Going from 2-4 cores, sure you can see a great increase, but scaling beyond 4 cores for most games is minimal. An fx6300 performs like an 8320 for most games. If you want more performance for free you should look at overclocking.

mariogamer9

Reputable
May 31, 2015
Yea, I was gonna overclock but then I found out how bad the stock cooler is and im looking for a better cooler. I'm thinking about the coolermaster hyper 212 evo because that seems like the best bang for buck cooler and thats sort of the whole idea around my system. (fx 6300,gtx 750)

if you have a gtx750 then that is going to be the bottleneck anyway, not likely gonna gain anything from OC'ing the cpu. Could OC the vid card though, might give you a small fps boost.