7970 overheating with either Dual monitor setup or 144hz single monitor

Dsolash

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
Hey guys, I have an old PowerColor PCS+ AX7970 and its been running strong since I got it a few months after the card came out. I've been running on an old Samsung T220 and I figured it was time to get a new monitor. I purchased an AOC G2460PQU. It's a 1080p, 144hz monitor with more shallow colors than my old monitor (both calibrated:??:). Besides, out the box I ran them in tandem with no issues. After a while (about 10 minutes), my computer crashed with a nice array of pink lines across the AOC monitor and green lines across the Samsung. It happened multiple times.

I decided to take a look at the temps and my 7970 was running at a toasty 60C+, while I was at idle. I unplugged the Samsung and my temps magically cut down to the ~30C I usually idle at. I got to CCC and I realized the AOC monitor wasn't even running at 144hz yet, so I do that. The temps immediately start skyrocketing at idle again.The weird thing is, the cards idle GPU clock and memory clock jump from 300Mhz and 150Mhz to 500Mhz and 1425Mhz, respectively. This happens when I have one monitor at 144Hz or both of them running at 60Hz. Both of these times I don't have anything up on the desktop, and CCC is reporting 0% GPU activity. I have updated from the latest Windows 10 drivers to the beta ones, thinking this might fix the problem. It didn't.

Any input as to what I could do to get myself up and running? Thanks alot!

Solution
i use to have a 7970 myself and that sounds like a very confusing issue, the only thing i can think of is something in the background must be taxing the gpu that CCC isnt detecting, try to run gpu z and see if it detects any gpu activity when this happens, also the gpu wont go above the 300mhz idle unless something was running on it, try older drivers and see if that changes anything, and do a clean install of drivers using a driver sweeper program just to be sure, also windows 10 is pretty new so that might be related to the issue,

DEVILVSANGEL00

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
i use to have a 7970 myself and that sounds like a very confusing issue, the only thing i can think of is something in the background must be taxing the gpu that CCC isnt detecting, try to run gpu z and see if it detects any gpu activity when this happens, also the gpu wont go above the 300mhz idle unless something was running on it, try older drivers and see if that changes anything, and do a clean install of drivers using a driver sweeper program just to be sure, also windows 10 is pretty new so that might be related to the issue,

Solution

Dsolash

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008

Thank you! I ran GPU-Z and this is what showed up:
At 60hz:
9ff17d6235.png

At 144Hz (about 1 min in):
aed6a95f5f.png

I'm going to try to do a clean driver install

[Edit]: Clean drivers didn't seem to work