i5-4590 Mini-ITX Turbo Cooling

wmanu

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
Hi Experts,

Please find my Mini-ITX build below. I would like to run it on Turbo (3.7 GHz) or even 4.0 GHz if possible, with minor voltage tweaking. I'm aware that non-K CPU and non-Z Mobo are not really for Overclocking. But wish to try out what best I can achieve with my build.

What kind of Cooling solution should I consider? Air/Water?

• ■ ASRock H97M ITX/ac
    ■ Intel Core i5-4590
    ■ GIGABYTE GTX 960 OC
    ■ XFX PRO 550W
    ■ Cooler Master Elite 130
Many thanks.

Solution
For a mildly over clocked i5 you shouldn't need to drop a lot on a crazy cooler. The reason why I suggested the 92mm noctua coolers is because you are building in a very tiny case, those 92mm towers they make are nice and small and have enough capacity to cool X99 processors while remaining nearly silent they are a bit pricey but they are worth it.

If this was an matx or standard atx board I would have recomended the 212 as well because of value for money. The tx3 will do the job (if it fits).

EDIT: if you have a hyper tx3 already, just use that. If it has the right hardware for it. Since you can't go that far (using a non k processor) it should do the job nicely.

Jordan McGarret

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015
I suggest a Hyper 212 evo, get an extra fan on the evo aswell, helps alot. You don't need high end watercooling because your processor isn't gonna go very far. And honestly the 212 competes with some of the best coolers on the market, but thats if your case can accomodate that, otherwise you can try a H75 watercooler which is much smaller and Heatsink ram friendly

frank the tank

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
I the 212 is a BIG cooler, it probably wont fit in a case that small, especially with 2 fans on it! id recommend 92MM noctua tower coolers (like the UB9 or UH9S). i think the 212 will be too big. the 92 MM coolers are more than enough to cool a mild I5 build

you can see here just how small it is

30l.jpg

wmanu

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
Thanks both, UB9/UH9S seems to be bit expensive, while Hyper 212 EVO would have been best if it could fit in a Mini-ITX case.
Do we really need to invest $100+ on a cooler for my kind of requirement? Anything preferable below $50?

I'm having a CM Hyper TX3 lying around, will that be of any good? May be not.

I love to go with water cooling, but bit scared after reading leakage risk.

frank the tank

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
For a mildly over clocked i5 you shouldn't need to drop a lot on a crazy cooler. The reason why I suggested the 92mm noctua coolers is because you are building in a very tiny case, those 92mm towers they make are nice and small and have enough capacity to cool X99 processors while remaining nearly silent they are a bit pricey but they are worth it.

If this was an matx or standard atx board I would have recomended the 212 as well because of value for money. The tx3 will do the job (if it fits).

EDIT: if you have a hyper tx3 already, just use that. If it has the right hardware for it. Since you can't go that far (using a non k processor) it should do the job nicely.

Solution