i5 4590 or i5 4690k?

Feliks

Honorable
Jul 24, 2015
So I am not obsessed with overclocking. I get it can increase performance and all but for an extra $40-50 I don't really see it being worth it/ All over the user reviews they mention it eats up any game/thing thrown at it. Even Tomshardware lists it as the best $200 CPU. Yet then I go to a group chat and everyone is telling me to get the 4690k "trust us get the 4690k!" and I really would like to stay within my budget and not spend $40 for an overclocking feature I don't really care for in the first place.

My question: Should I go with the i5 4590 or the i5 4690k? I plan to use this computer for everything from gaming to school to Netflix, etc. I plan on running most games 1080p Ultra settings.

Solution
I own both an i5-4590 and i5-4690k. Using the same video card the performance is for the most part the same with both at stock speeds. The i5-4690k might be an FPS or two faster, but I can't see it in games that I play. I bought it a year ago thinking that someday I'd overclock it, but it has always given me all the performance I need without OCing. Basically, the unlocked processor wasn't needed. I might can use it down the road another couple years, but by then I'll probably be looking for a new CPU and motherboard anyway. Basically, save the money if you're not interested in OCing.

Feliks

Honorable
Jul 24, 2015

I went with a Z97 motherboard so that I do have the possibility to upgrade to a overclockable CPU in the future if i want.

When will it be worth it? I hear overclockable CPUs last longer and I built the build to be pretty futureproof... how long will my CPU last compared to the 4690k? I don't want to buy parts just for them to go bad next year.

Also will I still be able to play Ultra with the 4590? (I'm figuring framerates don't really differ much between the two CPUs as GPU is what matters, the group chat people just have me confused now)

jeffredo

Distinguished
I own both an i5-4590 and i5-4690k. Using the same video card the performance is for the most part the same with both at stock speeds. The i5-4690k might be an FPS or two faster, but I can't see it in games that I play. I bought it a year ago thinking that someday I'd overclock it, but it has always given me all the performance I need without OCing. Basically, the unlocked processor wasn't needed. I might can use it down the road another couple years, but by then I'll probably be looking for a new CPU and motherboard anyway. Basically, save the money if you're not interested in OCing.

Solution