Is an i5-4690 to weak to record Desktop and game recordings at better quality than 240P?

Ferrariassassin

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2014
I have used MSI Afterburner, Fraps, Bandicam, Manicam, Open Broad cast, and many more and they all record horribly. On the ones that allow me to put what my Max Birate is if i use anything past 1,000 i get 1 FPS or to be honest i get about 1 frame every 3 to 4 seconds as if someone is turning a page of a book. If the max Birate is at 1,000 i get a perfect 60FPS but it looks like crap. When i record with Fraps, bandicam, Manicam it looks like it records at 240P resolution even though it says 1080p or 720p and i get maybe 20FPS. I think it may have to do with my CPU. Even when i record Internet games or should i say flash games with any of these programs it does the same exact thing. I was considering saving up for an i7-5960X the one with 8 cores and maybe it will be able to hande Flash games at least because i really want to get into recording game play and such.

You should NOT be having those results so I'm a little confused what you are doing wrong.

Have you tried the AMD Gaming Evolved Client?

I believe the above will use the video encoder on your R9-290 instead of the CPU.

Other:
With the i5-4590 you will use the CPU cores (thus inefficient software encoding) for programs like FRAPS but if setup properly if you use OBS that program can use the H.264 encoder on the CPU (part of the iGPU).

So you have THREE options:
1) Worst - CPU cores
2) Average - Intel iGPU's H.264 encoder
3) Best - AMD GPU H.264 encoder

That's my opinion at least. Heck, I have an i7-3770K plus NVidia graphics card and tried AMD's GE Client and it worked reasonably well. It must have been using my Intel CPU (iGPU or cores). I normally use NVidia Shadowplay.

**I get roughly 3% frame rate drop if I disable VSYNC. I've managed to game with NVidia Shadowplay at 2560x1440p@60FPS and great quality. So good that I often can't tell the difference. AMD's tool likely isn't quite as good but it should NOT be a crappy experience.

Update:
You will want to EXPERIMENT a bit. I suggest trying AMD GEC (which should use your AMD GPU's encoder) and compare to OBS (which should use the Intel iGPU encoder if setup properly).

Unless something's screwed up I would expect both to work reasonably well with AMD's tool getting less frame drop, but OBS is probably better to use but I'm no expert.