R9 290 Static/Crackling Audio over HDMI

acp1821

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014
First I'll give you a little background. My monitor doesn't have built in speakers so I opted to go the DisplayPort route for my video (from GPU obviously, ASUS R9 290) and small separate speakers connected to my mobo for audio. That setup has severed me well. The problem arose when I recently connected my PC to my TV via a 25ft HDMI cable (from GPU as well). I know most of you are probably thinking well that's why you moron, the HDMI is too long, but hear me out. I'm only experiencing audio issues when watching videos online or playing games, otherwise while watching videos offline (using VLC) I don't get any crackling. To confirm it wasn't just the media I was playing, I watched the trailer for the X-Files mini-series on YouTube and the crackling was absolutely horrible. Then I downloaded the vid to my PC and played the file, no crackling. This is what's leading me to believe it's not the HDMI or the GPU port itself.

Now the TV is kinda old but it works great in every regard so I don't think that's the issue either plus given the above I don't see how that would really make any sense anyway. But in case you're wondering it's a 73" Mitsubishi DLP TV, probably bought in 2012 or so.

What I've tried so far: I tried different HDMI ports on my TV. Unplugging and plugging back in from the GPU which seemed to fix the problem, that is until I restarted my PC and the problem returned. I've since tried that again to no avail which first lead to me to believe it was the GPU port and that I just hadn't noticed because I've been using DisplayPort and separate speakers. But that was before I discovered certain methods of media viewing do not result in static/crackling, which as I stated earlier leads me to believe it's not the GPU's port. I've also tried disabling all other audio playback devices and checked the "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" option in the properties menu.

I have not tried another long HDMI cable as I don't have any laying around. I did however just order a 15ft HDMI off amazon, I'll re-arrange things to make that work but like I said I'm not exactly convinced that's the issue.

My GPU driver is up to date as are all my drivers.

Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Note: I wasn't sure where to put this thread so sorry if I chose incorrectly.

acp1821

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014
OK so I feel dumb for not trying this sooner but it seems to have fixed the problem. All I did was disable my mobo's on board audio via BIOS, took all of like 10 seconds to find, disable, save and restart.

I figured I'd give an update in case someone has this issue in the future or if anyone was interested.

Wallygator79

Commendable
Feb 21, 2016
disable the integrated audio chipset onboard in the bios has not solved the problem for me.
My configuration is :
Asrock B85M-HDS r2.0 bios 1.3 (last)
Core i3 4170 8Gb Ram sapphire R9-280x-3Gb seasonic 500W

With onboard HDMI port, no issue.

Idea ?