FX-6300 to i5 4440 - exchange worth thinking about?

Necrus

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
Hello,

I have possibility to exchange my FX-6300 for i5 4440. Is this change worth going for?
It would cost me about 25$ so almost nothing.

The rest of config is:
Gigabyte GTX-960 4GB
PSU Corsair RM650
RAM: GSkill 2x4GB Ripjaws 2133
Mobo: TBD

Please advice.

Solution
No, it's not worth changing to an i5 for your 960. Overclock your 6300 the best you can, 4.5 GHz+ if you can and leave it at that.

You won't have the best performance in games like ARMA 3 or the best possible performance in GTA V at max settings, but other than that, there should be minimal difference between the overclocked FX and the i5 in the majority of games using the 960.

If you intend to change your GPU soon, then maybe get the i5 if you'll buy something like a 390/970 or faster. Otherwise, don't waste your money.
Maybe. The Intel will be more powerful in many situations and draws less power. There's a handful of situations it's only slightly ahead, but still ahead.

So will this offer include a motherboard, or do you have buy this? That would be the only thing that may make this not worth it. If you have to buy a new motherboard, or the motherboard offered in trade is not the same quality as yours it would make me decline the offer.

Also remember depending on your OS, you may need to purchase a new key.

With Skylake now available, there is absolutely no question in my mind that a new build should be Skylake.
1. Prices for cpu, LGA1151 motherboard and ddr4 ram are almost precisely the same.
i5-4440 @3.1 is $190.
Skylake i5-6500@3.2 is $210.
2. Skylake has an estimated 5-10% performance improvement per clock over haswell.
3. 14nm runs cooler, you get a decent overclock without the need for exotic cooling.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
No, it's not worth changing to an i5 for your 960. Overclock your 6300 the best you can, 4.5 GHz+ if you can and leave it at that.

You won't have the best performance in games like ARMA 3 or the best possible performance in GTA V at max settings, but other than that, there should be minimal difference between the overclocked FX and the i5 in the majority of games using the 960.

If you intend to change your GPU soon, then maybe get the i5 if you'll buy something like a 390/970 or faster. Otherwise, don't waste your money.

Solution

Necrus

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
Motherboard need to be bought. But I have quite good for this fx si if I sell it on the aftermarket then for this price I can buy quite good for 1150. This 4440 is blocked for OC as far as I am concerned so there is no sense in investment in a very good mobo?
Correct me if I am wrong.
I am not inrending to change gpu in a near future.
The games I play is Witcher3 and I am waiting for Fallout4 and XCom2.
My Os is Win10 Professional. It had been bought as box not oem so I think there should not b e a problem with the licence.