FX-8350 i believe my temps are wrong? (idle at 14c)

Mikeyc90

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014

free photo hosting

As you can see they are really low, i only have a air large cooler nothing special. its got me worried as recently i have been getting a blue screen which i cannot read as it has vertical lines down it.
Thanks

LookItsRain

Distinguished

AMD Overdrive is the most accurate program. 56C margin sounds like a correct idle temp.

I have an AMD FX6300, and with CPUID Hardware Monitor and EasyTune 6 (Software that came with Gigabyte Motherboard) it is currently showing CPU temp of 14C. Hardware Monitor also shows maximum fan speed of 675,000 rpm. If that were the case, my computer would hover around the room like a drone.

LookItsRain

Distinguished

Use amd overdrive, other programs read incorrectly.

Oddly enough, I loaded up AMD Overdrive, and it too shows 14.9C on each core. My ambient room temp is around 24C. For some reason the Fan Control Tab in Overdrive is grayed out, so I can't see my fan speeds there. I am at stock frequency and voltages, and using the stock cooler. I am not too worried about it, because this setup has been rock solid for 2+ years, but it would be nice to get accurate readings.

LookItsRain

Distinguished

That means you are 14.9c away from thermal throttling, you need a better cooler, stock cooler is terrible.

I don't think it means I am 14.9 away from thermal throttling. According the the AMD Overdrive User's Guide, under "CPU Monitor, Temperature" the description is "Current Core Temperature of each processor". I agree that the stock cooler isn't that great, but for what I use this computer for, CPU utilization rarely goes above 20-30%. I will run a stress test and see what the temperatures do.

LookItsRain

Distinguished

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2122665/understanding-temperature-amd-cpus-apus.html

On the link you provided, for the CPU Status screen, it reads "Thermal Margin" and then shows the temperature. On my CPU Status screen, instead of reading Thermal Margin, it reads "Temperature", not thermal margin. I am running WPrime right now, which puts 100% load on each core, and my temps are around 36C, which I know are not correct, but the fact that they went up, tells me that it is not showing Thermal Margin, or the readings would have gone down. Now that Wprime has finished, the temps are going back down.

When I did load up AMD Overdrive, it said that there was a newer version available, but I didn't update at this time. I may do that later today, and I may try to look at the temps in the BIOS, but I don't want to reboot just now.

Edit: I was going to do the update to Version 4.3.1.0690 of AMD Overdrive, but in the Release notes it specifies the motherboard chipsets it supports. My chipset (AMD 760G) is not on the list. I got this MB for free at Microcenter when I bought the FX 6300, so I know it is not very good and I am not getting the full performance out of the CPU. Also in the release notes under "Improvements and Fixes" it says 1. Thermal Margin: Report Temperature as Thermal Margin (TCTL_Max - TCTL).

So it looks like on the older versions of the software, it was reporting actual temp, but on the updated version, thermal margin.