Dell Precision T3500 - Some Help Please

flogside

Reputable
Oct 5, 2015
Hi All

Looking for some help from anyone in the know how!!

Bought a T3500 for £70, have bought a new upgraded Dell Heatsink to replace the stock model. I have a Xeon W3530 processor which i will be keeping for now. Ive got new paste etc for the new heatsink when it arrives. Have also bought and installed a GTX 750ti (brand new at a snip......£82). Im selling the old quadro graphics card. Came with a brand new 500gb hard drive and have added my old 2tb one too so plenty of space!

Now ive taken out the ram it had which was 4x2gb of both Hynix and Samsung makes. This is one of the bits i need help with. Could someone tell me definitively what Ram i can install in this system. Im under the impression i can only go as high as 1333Mhz which is fine but ive read conflicting reports in regards to ECC and NON ECC ram. What can i use? Does it have to be Non Ecc?? Or can i go for normal ram! Will be getting a gaming edition ram either way so.

Also, looking to install an extra case fan but not sure where i can fit one and what i need to fit it? Do i need a molex adaptor to do this as i believe the fan ports are already taken up by the stock fans/blowers currently installed. Just want to give this system as much ventilation as possible. If an extra fan can be installed then what is recommended?

Sorry for the long post but really want to get these issues sorted before purchasing anything more!

Thanks very much in advance!

Ben

I'll suggest using a memory finder tool, I tried a few (Kingston, Crucial, Corsair - there are others you can try), Crucial was the only one I found of those with kits they guarantee compatible http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Dell/precision-workstation-t3500 the ram is unbuffered and non-ECC. Crucial shows 1600MHz ram available. I would personally consider this three channel kit http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/precision-workstation-t3500/CT2709315 as a viable option

As far as fans go, you'll probably need to get creative to mount additional fans - zip ties have been used to mount fans in otherwise unmountable places, I'd think an 80mm fan could go a few places without worry but an adapter or fan hub would probably be needed.

flogside

Reputable
Oct 5, 2015
C12Friedman - Thanks so much for the reply! Ill have a look at that site in regards to compatible RAM. Looks very handy!

Ive seen another rig with two fans set above the usb ports and below the graphics cards. Looks like it could be natural spot for fans, just not sure what size, 80 or 120mm....... could you tell me, would a molex adaptor be good for a new fan and if so where exactly does it go?

Also meant to add, can anyone recommend a wireless network adaptor thats good and will fit this computer also please!!

Manuals for your PC can be found here http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/precision-t3500/manuals A few more pics, I saw what you are talking about and they do look ready for fans there but I have no clue what size? I'm fairly positive not 120mm but I can't tell offhand whether 80mm or 93mm (if I had to guess, I'd think 80mm but only a guess)

For wireless network adapters, I'm currently hard wired so I can't really say

flogside

Reputable
Oct 5, 2015

Thanks, I think it will probably be 80mm fans that fit, hope so as I've ordered two lol

I'll have to read up in regards wireless cards. I've got USB one so maybe I'll try that!!