400+ Ping Spikes Every 30 Seconds

Esophose

Reputable
Oct 8, 2015
Since a few days ago my router has been giving all devices connected to it a large ping spike in exact 30-second intervals. I don't have the slightest idea what may be causing this. I have already tried restarting my router and modem, along with the computer I am using right now. None of these have worked.

Ping chart created by PingPlotter:
s63vht.png

Any help would be appreciated!

Additional information:
- NETGEAR Ac1450 Router
- Wireless Connection
- CenturyLink ISP
- Average 6 devices connected to the internet

Solution
The problem was resolved by unplugging and plugging back in my satellite receiver for my TV. It must have been stuck searching for something and interrupting the router's wireless signal.
Did you try this on a wired connection. Are you pinging the router or some ip on the internet.

If you are doing this from wireless to some internet IP there are way to many variables. You need to test to find out if the problem is wireless, your router, or someplace outside your house. All have different things to attempt to fix it.

Esophose

Reputable
Oct 8, 2015

I have looked in my router's log but there isn't any helpful information there besides IP addresses of devices that have connected.

The image I originally posted was pinging a server that wasn't on my network connection. I redid the test and am getting roughly the same results while pinging my printer which has a wired connection to my router. When the test is run on a computer with a wired connection to the router the ping spikes do not occur. This leads me to point towards a wireless issue on my router, but I'm not sure what it is.

Esophose

Reputable
Oct 8, 2015
The problem was resolved by unplugging and plugging back in my satellite receiver for my TV. It must have been stuck searching for something and interrupting the router's wireless signal.

Solution