Solved

How to test to see if your CPU fan works

On boot up (after using the computer earlier in the evening) I got a message saying the CPU fan wasn't working *but* as soon as I disconnected my modem and restarted computer the computer is letting me post and look . I get no warning sounds, and it doesn't feel hot *at this moment* but I don't know where to look or turn to test to see if it is working using Windows 10.

I've had Nothing but problems since installing Windows 10.. any suggestions for a computer newb to go & test my fan out other than a shop?
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about test cpu fan works
  1. open your case and physically look at your fan
  2. WabbitHero said:
    open your case and physically look at your fan


    Case is Jammed shut !
  3. Best answer
    Use a program like speed fan and I have had nothing but problems since the upgrade to 10.
  4. Space monkey 12 said:
    Use a program like speed fan and I have had nothing but problems since the upgrade to 10.


    THANK YOU! The same with me ! Now I am going to have to pay a tech for a clean install of Windows 10 or Windows 7 Home Premium as I never made a recovery disk! I can be SO daft at times, getting in a hurry and then needing it but .. too late ! :)

    Thank You for the BEST answer EVER ! :)
  5. Trish_ said:
    Space monkey 12 said:
    Use a program like speed fan and I have had nothing but problems since the upgrade to 10.


    THANK YOU! The same with me ! Now I am going to have to pay a tech for a clean install of Windows 10 or Windows 7 Home Premium as I never made a recovery disk! I can be SO daft at times, getting in a hurry and then needing it but .. too late ! :)

    Thank You for the BEST answer EVER ! :)



    Sorry for the late reply to my knowledge you could just borrow/download a Windows 10 disk or create your own installation media because you already have a product key because you upgraded to ten I would reinstall myself not pay someone else to do it it's normally pretty simple
  6. Trish_ said:
    On boot up (after using the computer earlier in the evening) I got a message saying the CPU fan wasn't working *but* as soon as I disconnected my modem and restarted computer the computer is letting me post and look . I get no warning sounds, and it doesn't feel hot *at this moment* but I don't know where to look or turn to test to see if it is working using Windows 10.

    I've had Nothing but problems since installing Windows 10.. any suggestions for a computer newb to go & test my fan out other than a shop?

    I'd put my money on the faulty modem, maybe a short in it and drawing too much power. OS has nothing to do with starting computer and the message is coming from BIOS, not windows.
Ask a new question

Read More

windows 10 Computers CPUs Motherboards