i5 4570 for video editing

KhaledNakhleh

Reputable
Mar 27, 2014
I have an intel i5 4570 quad core CPU. I am planning on doing video and photo editing using adobe software (photoroom, premiere, etc).

can I get good performance using this CPU or do I need to upgrade to an i7 4790k? I dont want to spend the money if I eventually get slightly better performance.

I'm also upgrading my ram to 16gb 1866mHz and buying a 6tb hard drive for storage purposes.

here are my specs:

GTX 780 SLI.
gigabyte z87 UD4H
kingston hyperx beast 16 gb 1866mHz
cooler master 850w PSU rated gold

Solution
Morning,

I have been using an i5 3450 with a GTX 760 for years with Adobe Premiere and I never once had any lag editing or rendering, renders were pretty fast (when rendering from the GPU and not the CPU). The i5 should run everything fine, even 1080p video. You need a dedicated GPU however if you want to do editing aswell.

Many Thanks,

NerdyComputerGuy

Distinguished
Morning,

The i5 would be fine, you shouldn't experience that much lag. The only reason that you would upgrade to the i7 or for the hyper threading capability and the better L3 and L2 cache which are the things video editing and photo edition software(s) use.

The core i5 is quite a powerful CPU and so you should be fine, any more questions or hesitations ask.

Kind Regards,

KhaledNakhleh

Reputable
Mar 27, 2014

Thanks for the answer. will the hyper threading function help render better video quality? does it have to do with preserving the quality during converting files' formats?

also, will the core i5 4570 drop any frames during rendering? is that why people go for hyperthreaded CPUs?

NerdyComputerGuy

Distinguished
Morning,

I have been using an i5 3450 with a GTX 760 for years with Adobe Premiere and I never once had any lag editing or rendering, renders were pretty fast (when rendering from the GPU and not the CPU). The i5 should run everything fine, even 1080p video. You need a dedicated GPU however if you want to do editing aswell.

Many Thanks,

Solution