Will my FX 4300 Bottlenect my GTX 680 2 way SLI ?

Elie_Stevens

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015
Hello there, i've been reading this forum for couple of months, but i feel like there's ages lol.
Well, there's my "Problem"
Setup:>
Chasis: NZXT Switch 810 Black
MotherBoard: MSI 970 Gaming
PSU: Nox Urano VX 650W
SDD: SanDisk SSD 128GB
HDD: 1x 1TB + 1x 500GB + 1x 320GB
CPU: AMD FX-4300 Quad Black Edition (Currently Stable at 4.0 GHz and testing 4.2 GHz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master TX3 EVO.
GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 680 DirectCU II TOP 2Gb GDDR5 2-Way-SLI
RAM: 16 GB = 4x4 Gb DDR3 2133MHz (2xCL9 2xCL11)

So, im kinda sometimes when playing getting my computer freezed with a Purple, yellow either sometimes red screen while gaming. This happened when i had my CPU overclocking stabily to 4.5GHz.
Got to say also, i came from a GTX 750 TI, wich is what i could afford couple months ago. My rig changed a lot, nearly completely in 3 months, i only have the CPU wich is what i bought in the start of this building rig. A friend sold his 2 years old rig, and i bought his 2 ASUS GTX 680 DC2T in order to have better graphics at a really good price. Now, it's my CPU Bottlenecking them ? Am i missing PSU Watts ? idk what to do, i see an improvevemnt nowadays in stable FPS, but they are nearly the same with my Single GTX 750 TI.
(Got 150€ arround to spend if needed)

Elie_Stevens

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015

They are Two GTX 680, not 980....

your mobo is good and can handle FX 8350 or some overclocking. the TX3 might need to be replaced for such system plus overclocking. oh and your psu.... 482w on the 12v rail for 650w labeled psu isnt good enough.(for SLI GTX680) although a CWT made unit i would get a better one

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

NerdyComputerGuy

Distinguished

Hi again, that Power Supply is fine.

You could just use the stock cooler but since AMD supply crappy fans then you should get this,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B014HISMIW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_11&smid=A3027KWCQL8V4G

Regards,

Elie_Stevens

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015

It looks kinda Similar to my TX3 Evo and thanks!

i cannot comment on the psu quality since there arent any proper reviews. it has the cables needed and supposedly 70A 12v rail which should be more than enough. being CWT it certaily wont burn down however i would prefer one from the known and reviewed brands like antec / seasonic / corsair that are also avaliable. as for the cpu cooler for a budget one, Cooler Master Hyper 412S will do quite better than tx3

Elie_Stevens

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015

Hello dude, so i've been Upgrading my rig like u told me, with that PSU, FX 8350 and the CPU Cooler. Well, i tryharded a lot because i were having a LOT of BSOD, reinstalled windows 3 times, clean installs, and now seems to be pretty well fixed. System is Stable and no more BSOD or crashes. Sometimes it says that my GPU Driver has stopped Working but idk why this happens. Now my games are only using arround 30-40 % of the GPU, and im not getting consistent fps like before. Can you maybe know why is this caused ? I've installed all Drivers properly, latests versions of all of them. Ran Prime95 with this last install for 3 hours, a bit more, and all were fine. Ran Unigine Heaven for Stress GPU and they go up to 95-99% of Usage. But while gaming, it's fucked up.

hi again. ensure cpu cores aren't exceed 60c or they might throttle, crippling performance. since heaven bench is running as it should utilizing both gpu then SLI and drivers work just fine. however are the game you play sli optimized? are you running the lattest gpu drivers? there maybe additional content for your games (patch or something) that may increase performance, or solve any known issues. as an extreme test you can try stress testing cpu and gpu at the same time to ensure system stability and psu ability. also you can try furmark

Elie_Stevens

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015

Under Full stress test on Prime95 they got at max 49ºC, 3 hours test. I will try Fumark, also, it doesn't has, it hasn't have even SLI Support, but i've found a tweak with Nvidia inspector that should work and it is not. So, idk what to do next.
Thanks for the answer, also if you need some log files let me know.

Update: http://www.ozone3d.net/gpudb/score.php?which=182175 Fumark Score at FHD!

Elie_Stevens

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015

Arma 3, H1Z1, BF3, CSGO, Dota 2, ARK, Skyrim and GTA V
Those are the main titles,

for sli, in general , make sure you have it enabled through nvidia control panel and sli bridge is securely connected. you can also use gpuz to ensure it is enabled. regarding sli compatability check here.

for older games like cs go , skyrim and such, there isnt a point using sli . it will only add stutter. you can easily score great fpu with one gpu.

about H1Z1 try this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcXPb0UwHxM

about arma 3
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/807708/arma-3-sli-support-/?offset=2

on cpu heavy games, overclocking will really help. you should try it know you have a stronger psu and better cooler.