how much better is the fx 6300 vs fx 6350

Aug 11, 2015
Hi guys, the reason I'm posting this is because there is an offer on the fx 6350 http://www.amazon.it/gp/offer-listing/B00CLBZAHY/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used
that brings it within spitting distance of the fx 6300 http://www.amazon.it/AMD-FX-6300-Box-Processore-Argento/dp/B009O7YORK/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1444673666&sr=1-1&keywords=fx+6300
So my question is: which will be best for gaming when overclocked to the max on a 212 Evo?
Also, if you could recommend a good budget motherboard for overclocking this and a gtx 960 turbo edition, I would be very grateful.
Thank you all for your time.

P.S. Please don't just post a link to CPUboss, I have already checked, I would prefer personal experience or hard fact wherever possible. Thanks.

rvilkman

Distinguished
The only difference between the two CPU's is the clockspeed. And since they are both overclockable the only difference you might see is a slightly better overclocking result using the 6350. However since it's very much based on the sample you happen to get in the end there is practically no difference when you plan on overclocking.

But if you can spare it, the 'better' alternative is to go with FX 8320, but naturally it's an extra 25-35e depending on which one you were planning on going with.

For the motherboard i would recommend is Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 however i'm not sure if that constitutes as budget. It is however one of the cheapest FX990 mobos that generally are good for overclocking. 125e or so

The budget alternative i would say would be Gigabyte GA-970A-UDP3 75e or so

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
They are the same exact chip, the 6350 is basically an overcloked 6300 with a higher tdp. I only bought the 6350 because it was on sale for the same price as the 6300, if your going to overclock it doesn't really matter which one you get on average both will reach the clocks when overclocked.

Honestly I wouldn't recommend either anymore they are really getting quite old, A haswell i3 will outperform a overcloked 6300 in most games and you wont be stuck on the dead AM3+ platform with no upgrade option like me.

For gaming the 8320 is no better than a 6350 in the majority of games. Games are not going to make use of the extra logical cores on the 8320 in fact most games wont make good use of the extra logical cores on the 6300, a 4300 will perform just as well as the 6300 or 8320 in most games.

Aug 11, 2015
That's the problem though, I want to overclock, and sadly there are no unlocked i3s. If there where, I would gladly get it, but nope. I only want a cpu that will last 2 years, until i get an up to date i5 or a zen. I would be ok with an i3, but still, I would prefer to learn how to overclock. I also really want to overclock my gpu. The 970A looks ok, it has 8+2 phase power, but reviews are very mixed. Thank you all for your help.
P.S. can you unlock an i3? That would be awesome. And a friend of mine is using an fx 4300 (ancient)and that still serves him well, overclocked to 4.4 Ghz.

rvilkman

Distinguished
The difference between an intel build and AMD build is about 100e if you want to overclock both.
However since intel offers that much better performance, if you choose not to overclock, you can get a really nice intel build for very close to the same price as the AMD one.

Such as:
i5 4460 178e
Asrock H97 Aniversary $70e
Which would be better than the AMD even if you overclock it.

Aug 11, 2015
Sorry, my budget for the whole build is about 500€ but anything cheaper in the UK I can get there because I'm going there for christmas and have family there. A gtx 960 in italy is about 190€. I don't need a case though, and I might use a 500gb hard drive, but I would rather buy a 1Tb hard drive. Thank you all though

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

Haha I hear you I like overclocking and tinkering as much as i like gaming. the fx 6300 is a fantastic cpu mine has been going for 2.5 years now at 4.4 to 4.7ghz and it runs as good as the day I bought it but some days I wish I had just spent the extra money and went to an intel platform because now if I want to upgrade im spending at least 400 dollars for a new cpu and motherboard. But that said the 6300 holds up admirably I am still able to play the latest games at close to high settings 1080p 60fps but im not sure how much longer that will last. If I were you I would save up until you can afford something like a i5 4690k and a z97 motherboard, but if you cant wait I understand just be prepared to spend a nice chunk of change when you decide to upgrade.

No i3s cannot be unlocked, you may be able to get a few hundred mhz out of it by playing with the base clock but that can get very complicated and is not worth it in my opinion.

Aug 11, 2015
What about this as a possible solution http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/ZFRhHx ? Get an i3 now and slap in an i5 6600k later on, as well as one of the new pascal gpus in late 2016. Sound good? This is really the absolute max of my budget, and I will be buying everything on cyber monday. If anything is cheaper in italy, please let me know. Thank you all so much for your time, and I know this is now going off topic, so if you want I will post a new thread under systems.

TRENDING THREADS