980 ti k|ngp|n???

Solution
Ripoff IMO: http://www.hardwareluxx.com/index.php/news/hardware/vgacards/36075-reviewed-evga-geforce-gtx-980-ti-kingpin.html

EVGA site lists four models between $850 and $1050 USD.

Yes, they got up to 1592Mhz overclock so let's use 1550MHz and assume that some of the better $650 to $700 cards can reach at least 1400Mhz. So that's 10% faster theoretically (usually doesn't translate to 10% improvement in games though) such as 66FPS instead of 60FPS.

Basically the best of the GPU's chosen to ensure overclocking and a bit more money for other components including a better cooler.

EVGA even already has a liquid-cooled version that should perform close to that (1480MHz with GPU at 50degC tested by Jayz2cents) though the pump can be...

Sleetz

Reputable
Mar 8, 2014
OTLYp8c.png

Ripoff IMO: http://www.hardwareluxx.com/index.php/news/hardware/vgacards/36075-reviewed-evga-geforce-gtx-980-ti-kingpin.html

EVGA site lists four models between $850 and $1050 USD.

Yes, they got up to 1592Mhz overclock so let's use 1550MHz and assume that some of the better $650 to $700 cards can reach at least 1400Mhz. So that's 10% faster theoretically (usually doesn't translate to 10% improvement in games though) such as 66FPS instead of 60FPS.

Basically the best of the GPU's chosen to ensure overclocking and a bit more money for other components including a better cooler.

EVGA even already has a liquid-cooled version that should perform close to that (1480MHz with GPU at 50degC tested by Jayz2cents) though the pump can be problematic... not sure if that's still a thing with newer models (pump noise).

Solution
Update:
I assume from the above article I linked that they used a reference GTX980Ti for comparison.

That has a BOOST clock of 1075Mhz.

If they overclock the Kingpin to 1550MHz that's a 44% overclock... but as I said it doesn't scale that way so looking at several games I saw closer to 30% frame rate improvement.

*Then if you can easily overclock cheaper cards to 1400MHz which is a 30% boost that makes me question of pushing further to 44% would really make much difference to most games or if we're running into a CPU bottleneck? (of course it depends on the game and DX12 in the future will mitigate this).

Whatever... I'm seriously questioning if we'd see more than 5% gains over an overclocked, cheaper GTX 980Ti though.

TRENDING THREADS