970 has low FPS is easy games, mouse movements cause lag, occasional driver-related BSODs

rsm3000

Reputable
Oct 13, 2015
I have a problem that has proven "ungoogleable" so far.

My GTX 970 is delivering unacceptable frame rates in demanding games. I've only had it for a while, but GTA5 can't stay over 50 FPS at high or low settings. I assumed it was just that game, but now Metal Gear Solid 5 dips into the 20s at max settings whereas other 970s seem to deliver full 60 fps always (even at 1440p!). My 3dmark score was 10% lower than most 970 systems, but this is much worse than that.

I have tried everything a savvy PC user would:
Old drivers
New drivers
Clean wipe of all GPU drivers, then new drivers
Reinstalled MGS5
Windows in "high performance mode"
NVIDIA settings in "high performance mode"
OC GPU / not OC GPU
OC CPU / not OC CPU
Added a second stick of RAM

Some notes that might help you think about this:
I have a small case and the GPU runs hot for a 970, into the 70s C often when OCed. I don't think it's thermal throttling since it isn't that hot when not OCed.
I have a cheap PSU, but still 500w is plenty for this build.
When I got a gaming mouse, I had to change the power settings on the PC to high performance mode (which prevents downclocking CPU) to prevent an interference sound when moving the mouse.
I have had occasional driver-related BSODs for as long as I have owned the machine, but they are infrequent enough that I haven't reinstalled.
I have other programs like Chrome running on my second monitor when playing these games, but I'm using full screen mode for the games.
When I GTA5 and MGS5 at lower settings, I still don't get 60 fps, although my GPU gets cooler.

System specs:
Zotac 970
4670k @4.0
2x8 GB RAM
Asrock h97 itx motherboard
SSD
Corasair 250d (small case)
m65 mouse (causing lag)
1920x1200 monitor
500w Corsair CX PSU

Thoughts?

Solution
Download hw info 64 and gpuz if you don't already have them...open them and turn the sensors tab on for both of them and go run a benchmark or better yet go play gtav or mgsv for about 10-15 min, and then take a couple screenshots of both the gpu z graph info and the cpu section in hwinfo that shows clock speeds, usage, temps...etc so we can see what's going on while it's doing that.

http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
MGS5 I get 60fps constant at ultra settings with a Asus 970 STRIX in oc mode (Asus gpu tweak2) at 99% gpu usage with a i7-3770k @4.6GHz (24% usage). In eco mode, my fan doesn't even turn on until @65°C, so 70°C isn't much of a stretch for MGS5.

That said, just how far have you gone to delete drivers? Was there any prior drivers/gpu? When installing new drivers did you use auto or custom and make a clean install? Is there anything other than chrome running in the background that could be taxing the cpu?

rsm3000

Reputable
Oct 13, 2015

I was running a 290 before this card. I have tried all sorts of ways of reinstalling drivers including most recently Display Driver Uninstaller to remove every driver before putting the newest one back on. I always do a custom and clean install.

Nothing else running except Fraps, EVGA Precision, and Task Manager so I can track these things.

Reaper_7799

Distinguished
Download hw info 64 and gpuz if you don't already have them...open them and turn the sensors tab on for both of them and go run a benchmark or better yet go play gtav or mgsv for about 10-15 min, and then take a couple screenshots of both the gpu z graph info and the cpu section in hwinfo that shows clock speeds, usage, temps...etc so we can see what's going on while it's doing that.

http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Solution

rsm3000

Reputable
Oct 13, 2015

Ok, thanks. Will do this tomorrow morning. Appreciate everyone's thoughts so far.

rsm3000

Reputable
Oct 13, 2015

Here are the images when playing MGS5 on max settings at around 40 fps.

MFKVEEJ.png

rUCnK0V.gif

fZyGVeo.png

rsm3000

Reputable
Oct 13, 2015
Well, I don't know why this would help, but I just upgraded to Windows 10 and my problems were solved. Steady 60 FPS on MGS5, and higher Firestrike scores.

I guess this suggests it was a driver problem, but I don't know why my driver reinstalls didn't help.

Reaper_7799

Distinguished

Well that's good, at least it took care of the problem. It's kind of odd that fixed it but good, keep in mind for the future in case it starts to do it again...the performance cap reasons showed vrel and vop when you had the major drops there. The corsair cx are not the best psu so if it's a year or two old it could be on it's way out.

vRel = Reliability. Indicating perf is limited by reliability voltage.

VOp = Operating. Indicating perf is limited by max operating voltage.