i5 4590/4690K or FX 8350?

PabloGP

Reputable
Oct 13, 2015
I'm an engineering student and I'm looking forward to build a PC from scratch. I haven't got any component yet, so I decided to choose a CPU first.

I intend to use my computer for a wide variety of tasks. Gaming (although I don't mind sacrificing some quality if necessary), 3D designing (with the CATIA software mainly) and extensive CPU using programming (MATLAB, Python, C++...). I do not plan to do overclock as son as I receive my new CPU (I fear to break it), but I value having the option later when it becomes older. I've enough money to spend but I don't want to waste it.

After looking for info, I've thought of picking one of this three CPUs, but I'am open to suggestions. Here is what I've learned so far of each one:

• Intel i5-4590: Good gaming perfomance and reasonable price, but cannot overclock (I cannot buy the K version for a reasonable price). I can get it for around 220 € (140 £).

Intel i5-4690K: Better performance and possibility of overclocking (no interest in the 4690 version, just 4 £ cheaper), but more expensive. I can get it for around 189 € (165 £).

AMD FX-8350: Worse gaming performance but maybe better performance at other tasks. Far cheaper and possibility of overclocking. I'm worried about the power consumption and some people told me AMD sucks (don't really know why). I can get it for around 159 € (120 £).

Which one do you think is better for me?

I haven't decided what other components use (thought of 950 GTX graphic card but not sure) so I will accept gladly any suggestion :).

Thank you very much and take into account that I'm a newbie in PC building, so don't be too bad with me.

Solution
A Xeon is not just for servers. A Xeon is basically an I7 that cannot overclock. For any engineering type tasks that will utilize hyperthreading, it is definitely worth it considering the close price to the I5 and the benefits it will have. It will beat both the I5 and FX for his tasks. The Xeon is perfectly fine for gaming and will perform just as well as an evenly clocked I5.

BT14

Reputable
Oct 8, 2014
The Xeon is just a server grade CPU. Doesn't mean it's the best for the job. If you wanted to setup a server for mc or something, I'd recommend the Xeon. And whoever told you AMD sucks doesnt know what they are talking about. AMD just has older models which aren't as power efficient. I would get the 8350 for your needs and do an OC to up the speed by maybe .5 to 1.0GHz.

A Xeon is not just for servers. A Xeon is basically an I7 that cannot overclock. For any engineering type tasks that will utilize hyperthreading, it is definitely worth it considering the close price to the I5 and the benefits it will have. It will beat both the I5 and FX for his tasks. The Xeon is perfectly fine for gaming and will perform just as well as an evenly clocked I5.

Solution

PabloGP

Reputable
Oct 13, 2015

I thought they might be to expensive for me. I don't want to spend more than 220 € in a CPU. I also thought they were designed to be used in servers.
However, I'm not an expert, so I can give it a thought if you think they are an option.