i5 3570 Overheating

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Hi,
I just bought an used i5 pc with some standard components and my old pc is in desription.
I bought this used pc just for the processor.
Once I brought it home,removed the cpu from my old and installed the i5 and I got some generinc thermal paste with the used pc,applied that and yes I cleaned both the processor and cooler before installing.
Started witcher 3 in novigrad and the cpu cores hit 90*.
Thought maybe I did not seat it properly,removed the proc and put my i3 back in and used the same thermal compound.
Now my i3 hit 75* which never has crossed 65* before..
And again Removed the i3 put the i5 back in and applied a bit more of that thermal compound.
Now it hits 80 to 85.

I have few doubts now.
Can the cpu be faulty and should I consider returning it or a new thermal compund or an aftermarket cooler will definitely fix the heating issue..?
Could it be an issue with my smps or motherboard?

Any help is greatly appreciated..
Thanks in advance..

Solution
No I don't think you need to return it as long as it's operating correctly. Just get a better CPU cooler that fits your case. I'd also add 1x 90mm in the case rear blowing out of the case. You should see significantly cooler temperatures.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014

Do you think an aftermarket cooler can help and get it below 65* even if a new thermal compund doesn't.?

TonyRoma

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012
Unlikely as it may seem to you, all things point to incorrect installation of your cooler. Check it, and double check it. Also, when you apply your thermal paste, do not use too much. Only a small blob is needed. I do recall that some standard Intel HSF are different for i3 and i5 CPU's. On the i5 the HSF come with a copper core insert on the base, not present on i3's HSF I believe, maybe it could be that causing higher temp? A cheap cooler that comes with thermal paste is your easiest option.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Forgot to say something..The idle temps seem to be fine(around 40 to 50)..Under load the temp doesn't seem to stabilize,keeps increasing..Ran prime95 small fft and cores hit 90 within 20 seconds,shut it..

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014

You are right abou the hsf's and I have th i5 one installed..So can we rule out the returning the pc option and be assued this is fixable?

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014

If this is fixable I will start with getting a new thermal paste tmrw and then go about getting a am cooler in sometime,Jobless currently..However if this cannot be fixed I shud by all means return to the seeler..How to decide?

TonyRoma

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012
Ah, that would certainly explain your high temps! I think a 3rd party cooler will do the world of good to your temperatures. Cooler Master, Arctic Cooler, Raijintek all make some nice budget coolers. Generally all come with decent thermal paste too.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014

And should I give the compund some time to set in..And I removed and installed it twice to make sure it is not the seating..Will try it tmrw again with new compound..

InvalidError

Titan
The stock HSF is practically a one-shot install thing: the original paste has very high viscosity and sticks to the CPU when it heats up over the first few hours when installed properly. Once you remove it, you break the vacuum bond and most generic 'flowy' pastes will never work quite as good since they do not have the same packing density as the original paste to maintain pressure over time.

An aftermarket cooler like the 212+/EVO should eliminate all doubts about HSF attachment.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014

Just what I was thinking...Wanted to make sure the cpu itelf is fine before goung further..What do you think..?It cannot be a fault proc right?right?I really want this to work..Cant find a new 3rd gen i5,,Thats y went for this...

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014

My case is a generic one and I don't believe I can fit a 212 in it..
Would a tx3 do fine..
Seems cheaper too.

SO,you think an am cooler will fix the issue?

TonyRoma

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012
TX3 is perfectly fine, it's a massive improvement of Intel HSF. If your case is fairly generic it probably hasn't got the greatest airflow, might be worth thinking about adding a fan or 2 if your case allows.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014

NO it does not..
I can have only two 90 mm fans side and rear exhaust..
Next step would be the case and gpu,maybe the smps too...

So I don't have to think about returning it right?

TonyRoma

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012
No I don't think you need to return it as long as it's operating correctly. Just get a better CPU cooler that fits your case. I'd also add 1x 90mm in the case rear blowing out of the case. You should see significantly cooler temperatures.

Solution

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014

Thank you..
I cannot thank u enough..Took a huge load off my mind..
Will try a new compound and post back tmrw..Definitely goinf for a new case with the next gpu...
Thought I made a wrong decision by going for a used proc..

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Guys got the temp down to 75 peask temp in game and 85 ruuning prime95 for about 10 minutes or so with a new paste(again a generic paste,could not find anything better here...)

Waiting to get a tx3 eveo..
What diiference should I expect.?