R9 390 vs GTX 970? Which one is the better one?

3mileu

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015
So, i know this is a big discussion, but i am in the market for a new pc - and i am standing with the big known issue: Should i get a Radeon R9 390, or a GTX 970?
They are both around the same price, so there is practically no ''budget solution''.
If i should get a gtx 970, i would ofc. get the 4GB, because i am using two screens (both screens are only 60hz each tho)
and as far as i know more cpu ram = better dual screen performence. But for the same price as a gtx 970, i can get a R7 390 with 8 GB!

Which one fits me better, and is the best choise for me?

I never overclock, and i am not going to, because i dont wanna lose the warranty, if i break it.
(buying it threw a online-shop, if i change/breaks something, they wont fix it.)

I often play games like bf4, gta 5, (mostly cs:go tho, but wanna play more high-end games smooth) and wanna record some gameplay of it, and i also do photoshop and so. Also my friend bought a R9 390, and he gets good FPS in bf4, because of the 8 gb, but in games like CS:GO my other friend (with a gtx 970 4GB) gets more fps.

Solution
Right now, I'm recommending the R9 390 over the gtx 970.

You have a little misinformation in your post.

1) it is almost impossible to damage your video card by overclocking it unless you get into modifying the power current (physically).

2) BF4 doesn't use 8gb VRAM. It will run great at 1080p with either card but is CPU-bound during multiplayer.

You are unlikely to use 8GB of VRAM unles you are pushing multiple 4k screens.

Good luck with your new card!

Bartendalot

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
Right now, I'm recommending the R9 390 over the gtx 970.

You have a little misinformation in your post.

1) it is almost impossible to damage your video card by overclocking it unless you get into modifying the power current (physically).

2) BF4 doesn't use 8gb VRAM. It will run great at 1080p with either card but is CPU-bound during multiplayer.

You are unlikely to use 8GB of VRAM unles you are pushing multiple 4k screens.

Good luck with your new card!

Solution

3mileu

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015

thx - so what you are telling me, is that overclocking does not do anything really than getting the graphic card to run faster, and making more heat?

It depends entirely if you have a psu that will support the 390.

What is your full setup?

The 390 is marginally faster but faster none the less 4-7 fps on average more so in some.

970 is almost as fast uses less power and produces less heat and is ultimately gonna be more quiet.

3mileu

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015

This is pretty mutch the setup i got in mind:

Corsair Carbide 200R Midi Tower Black
Cooler Master B500 VER.2 KPC
AMD FX-8350 Black Edition, Socket-AM3+
Corsair H55 Hydro Series CPU Cooler
ASUS M5A97 R2.0, Socket-AM3+
Crucial DDR3 BallistiX Sport 1600MHz 8GB
MSI Radeon R9 390 Gaming 4GB
HyperX Fury SSD 120GB 2,5"
HyperX Savage SSD 480GB
MS COA Win 10 Home Nordic

Bartendalot

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010

There is something called Boost 2.0 which automatically increases clock speeds up until the card gets hot. On top of that, you can use software called Precision x16 or MSI afterburner (both free) which allow you to safely overvolt (well within limits) and increase clock speed and memory speed. If you get a decent aftermarket cooler, you can usually squeeze another 150ish mhz in clock speed qhich equals a few extra FPS.

The software is designed to be perfectly safe. If you go with a card from EVGA, they will allow you to return the card even if you take off the cooler and install water blocks. Overclocking is assumed as regular usage.