R9 290 - crashes/freezes and restarts to no display after installing driver

SnorlaxMassacre

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014
Hey everyone
I have a problem with a newly bought graphics card that WAS faulty and still may be. The fault was caused by the connectors, they needed pressing down for a further firm connection. So what I did is, opened the card up and cut aluminum from one of those curry containers (it was all I had :p) to long pieces. I folded them up so they would fit the sticky pads on the card and I put each piece of folded aluminum on each sticky pad. I then put more sticky pads from another 290 on the folded aluminum pieces.

So, I thought I'd managed to fix it but no, there's another problem. Whenever I installed drivers for the card, it freezes/crashes and restarts but to no display. Now, I know this only happens after installing the drivers.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Specs:
Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2
AMD FX 4100
4GB DDR3 1333Mhz
R9 290
Hitachi 500GB HDD
Optiarc DVD Drive
EZcool Ambiance 80+ 800w PSU

SnorlaxMassacre

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014

Nobody's voting here, this isn't a democracy. The card is fine, considering many people have the same problem as I after they install drivers for AMD cards. And they managed to fix theirs.
So please, let's talk logic.

SnorlaxMassacre

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014
Instead of telling me the card is faulty, which I obviously know, you can tell me why or what you think the fault is. And maybe pick up on something I missed.

Maybe I was a bit too harsh and I apologise. I guess I'm a bit too frustrated about this whole thing with my graphics card. My bad.

SnorlaxMassacre

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014

It may of had an artifacts problem, though I'm not totally sure. But now I am, I see artifacts all over the damn screen. This happened 20 minutes ago so yeah as a last resort, I could try baking.
When I bought this card, I was sure there was a problem with the connectors. It would post, but no display. How I know this, the card's fan slowed down and keyboard lit up twice. So, I was right until now. I did fix that problem but now artifacts? That's beyond me.
Do you know any solutions beside baking to fix artifacts?

Sometimes this is the result of overclocking or having it run hot. Baking usually fixes a card that won't come up after drivers are installed - it just fails to show anything once drivers are loaded. I don't know if baking would help. I'm assuming that you're using the latest drivers.

My son's 7850 has issues with artifacts with certain drivers, so maybe trying a different(older) driver.

SnorlaxMassacre

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014

I don't know about it being overclocked as I don't know the history of the card, but it could be the case. Yes, I do have the latest drivers installed, it was fine for a couple of days ( I mean, I couldn't play a game/watch youtube videos or anything video related). Then yesterday I dragged and dropped a file to photobucket, that's when the artifacts came up. Could there be a problem with the video chip? I double padded the heatsinks so the connection would be firm, but who knows? By doing that, I think the main video chip is not getting enough connection. Could this be the case?