R9 390 FPS on Crysis 3

MastaMind Hussain

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014
Hey there fellow gamers and techis..

just a quick question..

So I just upgraded my GPU from AMD 7950x2 to a Single card AMD MSI R9 390 8GB
I played it around with it and seems to be hit and miss so far with me..
Example.. I was playing Crysis 3 on all max setting and saw a massive drop in FPS.. on heavy scenes I was getting 35-45-50FPS.. but with the 7950 Xfire I wasn't doing bad at all a few dips here and there nothing major.. same again in Ryse son of rome.. drops in FPS where the 7950 wouldn't suffer at all... Playing 1080p on all games.

My set up is
i5 3570k @ 4.2
8GB 1600mhz Rip Jaws
2TB SSHD(where all my games run from)
R9 390 @1100Mhz
750 Antec PSU
Asus Sabertooth Z77 MOBO
AMD Driver 15.8 Beta
Windows 10 64bit PRO

Other games such a Projects Cars, Batman Arkham Knight, Dying Light, Sleeping Dogs, and few other games I saw massive FPS improvements.. Blinding performance..

Am I missing something here?
Older games ain't keeping up with the times maybe?
or I'm just being a little picky?

Post your answers below!

Thanks again..

Solution
EDIT:
Didn't think about this but do you have TXAA selected for anti-aliasing? That is a gameworks feature (one that is known for crippling performance for both AMD and Nvidia cards). If you do, consider selecting either SMAA or MSAA to see if that improves performance.

Well said.

OP, sorry if it seems like we are saying that your choice in GPU was "not the best". That is not the case. 390 is still a very powerful card for 1080p and will perform very well at max settings...

spagalicious

Distinguished
Yep that is pretty typical. According to techspot, the 390 averages 59 FPS in Crysis 3. Meaning that frames will most likely dip into the the low 40s and possibly high 30s in certain situation. 6 FPS more on average than the 290.

Crysis_02.png

MastaMind Hussain

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014

Sorry to sound like a right little noob.. but isn't the logic meant to be the newer the hardware the better the result?

spagalicious

Distinguished
Well the R9 390 is actually the same exact card as the R9 290 with a ~50MHz bump on the core clock and an extra 4GB of VRAM. VRAM does very little for performance, 4GB is more than sufficient at 1080p.

Not sure if this is what you are asking^

If you mean compared to the 7950s, there may be a small loss in GPU 'power' but you are saving in terms of space, power, heat, etc over your crossfire setup. To be honest, the 290X is the card to get right now. 390X is also just a rebrand of a 290X with a 50MHz bump on the core clock. A Sapphire Tri-X 290X overclocked will handily beat everything at its price point and above for less cash(~$330).

If we assume a 100% crossfire efficiency for practicality (generally 90% is realistically achievable in Crysis 3), the HD 7950 x2 will have 40% more shading units, 40% more texture mapping units and 40% more compute units than the R9 390. But the pixel rate of the HD 7950 x2 is 20% slower than a single R9 390. The more modern cards are shifted more towards pixel rate.

Crysis is known for its heavy textures, so maybe this is what's giving out the edge to your old setup, not accounting for clock speed and crossfire efficiency? In any case, one of the factors mentioned above is likely limiting the R9 390 in certain scenes.

Basically the 7950 crossfire is very similar to the r9 280 in crossfire. If we look at the results below, the R9 280 crossfire has more potential than an R9 290x...

6610_20_msi_radeon_r9_280_3gb_twin_frozr_gaming_oc_in_crossfire_oced_review.png

Your 'upgrading' might've been premature. Probably you should crossfire the R9 390 to get the performance you were looking for. The only thing this upgrade gave you is power saving, and better performance in games where crossfire doesn't work properly.

MastaMind Hussain

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014

Yeah I see what your saying.. could've got xfire.. but wasn't sure if my cpu would keep up.. still can tho.. i just needed to get out of the 'older card phase'.. had the 7950s for some time now.. and the heat issue was getting to me.. and alot fan noise.. so far the 390 quite as a mouse.. might take you up on that.. about getting another 390 soon.. but will my cpu be a bottleneck? cheers

Not always. If you buy a new Toyota Corolla, will it outperform a 10 year old Porsche 911? You kinda went sideways, with the switch from dual 7950 to the 390 not up. Plus not all games will run the same on specific configurations.

MastaMind Hussain

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014

yeah i get that as well.. wasn't sure which way to go.. just saw an opening on great price for the 390 GPU.. thought might as well..

BTW sorry the solution arrow thing.. screen froze and hit it accidentally

spagalicious

Distinguished
EDIT:
Didn't think about this but do you have TXAA selected for anti-aliasing? That is a gameworks feature (one that is known for crippling performance for both AMD and Nvidia cards). If you do, consider selecting either SMAA or MSAA to see if that improves performance.

Well said.

OP, sorry if it seems like we are saying that your choice in GPU was "not the best". That is not the case. 390 is still a very powerful card for 1080p and will perform very well at max settings for most games at 1080p.

Crysis 3 is very much a benchmark title, other new titles will run very well with a 390. If you are finding you need just a bit more performance, maybe consider adding even more of an overclock to your card. Check out this guru3d review of a 390. They were able to maintain a stable 1140MHz core/1600Mhz mem with a 100 mV voltage bump.
http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/powercolor-radeon-r9-390-pcs-8gb-review,26.html
index.php

If you are looking for better performance in Crysis 3 specifically, that may be the difference in steadily maintaining a minimum of 40-45 FPS with an average of 60 FPS.

Cheers

Solution