R9 390 low framerates and usage across all games

david_grohl

Honorable
Jul 20, 2013
I have recently upgraded to an R9 390 but am experiencing low fps and poor GPU usage in all games.
All games at 1080p have v-sync, motion blur, dof turned off. High to Ultra settings. AA low to medium. However, changing graphics from the most ultra settings down to high or medium never really changed the performance. I usually play in full screen, playing in windowed or borderless windowed didn't help.

My System:
FX-8350
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler
Asus m5a97 LE R2.0
Sapphire R9 390 (I enabled the uefi mode via the blue button)
Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600 16GB
Corsair Enthusiast TX750W PSU
Samsung 830 SSD

RO 2: I get around 40-50 fps with normal dips and spikes from 30-60. It appears that this game is also bottlenecked at my cpu. Is my cpu really that poor? I assumed it should be able to crush a game like this.
MaEM7Ij.jpg
Starcraft 2v2: 120 fps at the beginning, dropping to steady 30 in the mid/late game.
dDTq70o.jpg
GTA 5: Sometimes It will reach 60fps+ (80 in my garage) but it usually runs 40-50 fps with normal dips into the 30 fps range.
SQXjqvA.jpg
I did a fresh install of windows last week in an attempt to fix this so I am still downloading more games to test out. Can post back with Star Citizen, BF4 and WarThunder afterburner stats soon.

• ■ All drivers are up to date. My bios hasn't been updated since I got this cpu/mobo 2 years ago though.
    ■ There seems to be no background tasks taking any significant amount of resources.
    ■ Turning AMD Turbo Boost on doesn't seem to help and in some cases (GTA5) even hurts performance. Now I just have it disabled.
    ■ I have the bios and windows set to Performance Power mode.
    ■ I noticed my memory is set to 1151MHz in my bios and I don't even have an option to go up to 1600. Is this an issue, how do i fix it?

what cooler are you using? stock coolers ist good. also what are your core temps? should remain below 60c at all times to avoid any possible thermal throttling. since your mobo doesnt provide heatsink for vrm, i would suggest a top down cpu cooler like this that will provide better airflow on the socket area.

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WLGQnQ/by_merchant/
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master GeminII S524 Ver 2 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($39.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $39.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-24 14:22 EDT-0400

about memory speed what does cpuz report? if you have been messing with bios you can do a reset or load default values.

david_grohl

Honorable
Jul 20, 2013

My mistake. I forgot to include my cpu cooler, the CoolerMaster Evo
My Core temps rarely go above 50*C. I will test that a little more to make sure though.
I tried a load defaults in my bios a week or two back and the only thing ive changed since is turning Turbo Core Boost on/off, Fast Boot, and Boot Order.
I will try cpuz

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

your fps seem about right for that cpu, you just chose the wrong one for the type of games you are playing

ro2 only uses 2 cores

starcraft 2 only uses 2 cores

gta5 you fps are where they should be

120 fps at the beginning, dropping to steady 30 in the mid/late game.

this maybe due to vrm degrade as fx 8350 is really pushing the mobo. tower cooler isnt helping either.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

i can get over 200 fps at the beginning of certain games

then it settles down when you start gameplay

Rumzie

Reputable
Jan 27, 2016
I bought the XFX 390 and had the same issues even with overclocking.
As far as I can tell, this is a driver bug.

A solution for now is to run games in windowed borderless mode. When I played Black Ops 3 on fullscreen I got massive FPS drops. Changing the display to windowed borderless took care of it, never saw an FPS drop again.

Hopefully they fix this, because running games in windowed borderless mode has a slightly higher strain on the cpu.