R9 380 blew up 2 PSU's

Oliver_10

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015
So i got my new xfx R9 380 be yesterday and i installed it with no probs at all, ran dota 2, everything fine, ran the witcher 3 and 5 min into the game my 600 watt psu blew up, sparks and everyhing, my hair almost fell when for a split second i thought it was the new gpu... I had another 600w psu and i installed it right away, everything back to normal, played a game of dota, like an hour of csgo and then decided to give the witcher another try, 10 mins in, the same thing happened.

Both PSU where generic (edge and pixxo respectively), was this the reason? Those cheap bastards couldnt handle the r9 380 power demands? Im a graphic designer therefore i cant be w/o my pc for a lot of time so i really need to solve this, i was thinking of getting the EVGA 750 watt psu (supernova or smthing like that), will that suffice? Is it normal for a 600w generic psu to blow up that way with the r9?

Some specifications:

I used to have a r9 270 before the 380 and it ran fine.

Amd phenom ll x4 965 be
2x 4gb hyperx fury ddr3 ram
128 ssd
512 hdd
Dvd rw
Mobo gigabyte 970a-ds3p
Xfx r9 380 dd 2gb be
2 case fans

InvalidError

Titan
Low quality power supplies tend to blow up or fail at a fraction of their sticker ratings and occasionally blow up some of your other components when they do, which is why some people like to say that the PSU is the most important component in your system - it literally has the power to blow up everything else in your PC when it fails.

Buying one decent quality PSU for $60 or so that will reliably last 5+ years is ultimately cheaper than buying multiple $20 PSUs each year and risking your whole PC with each one of them.

Here's the tier list for inspiration:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html
Aim for tiers one or two if possible, stay away from anything worse than three.

InvalidError

Titan

Not that much higher: the 750B1 linked is a tier four unit.

For a few extra bucks, the 750B2 is a much better unit.

A very subtle textual difference that makes a huge technical and material difference.

Oliver_10

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015
Amazon effed me up, cant buy there either so my only option is to get a psu from a local store, and the only good brand here at an acceptable price is the corsair cx750m, i hope that that one can do the job...

jerrie86

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2013

corsair CX series is not good man. cheap capacitors. Try look for something else if you can.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

CX750m should do the job fine if that all you can get. I run a GTX 780 on one just fine.

I run a 980 on a CX600M, never had an issue either.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

As it says on jonnyguru, they arent bad units, in fact they have good voltage regulation and ripple control. They just arent always well priced - there are often better units for same price. If you cant get many units in your country then i dont think its a bad purchase, i got mine for a very good price on offer and cant knock it.

Tons of people on here wrongly tell people they should bin it and buy a better unit, which often is just wasting money.

Oliver_10

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015
I ended up buying the Cooler Master G650M lol, the store where i was going to buy the cx750m was closed even tho their website claimed to be open today,i wasn't willing to spend another day without my pc plus i can't go mid week because i work all day... so i just bought the one that i found that was good enough in my understanding, i really hope this one doesn't blow up, thanks for all the help, wish me luck.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

good unit... bad capacitors... Never overclock...

Faktion

Reputable
Oct 24, 2015
My friend and I actually did a test a while back on really cheap non name brand PSUs. Every single one only put out a percentage of their intended power, except for one. The ones that had a single rail were often closer to half of what they claimed.

The only one that was even in the right ballpark was the one we got for free after rebate from TigerDirect. It was that Diablotek one that I am sure you guys have seen. Would I trust that PSU either? Absolutely not.

You should be fine with that CM PSU. They are not my favorite brand personally but are definitely more reliable that the ones you originally mentioned.