660 Ti 2GB SLI Questions

thehritzinator

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
I am running one monitor at 1080p
I've had my 660ti since it was released, and it's starting to show it's age with current AAA titles.
I was looking to pick up a used card, but I have a few questions:
- My current is with 2gb VRAM. How much will 2gb in SLI really hinder me? Will I be able to tell a difference between 2 and 4?
- Some 660ti's have 3gb VRAM. Could I mix those with mine, or do I have to get a 2gb version?

I'm only looking to spend around ~$100 USD, so please do not say "instead, go buy "X" card". Unless I can get it used for ~$100 and it will be better than 660ti SLI, please do not suggest it.

Solution
If you mix a 2gb & 3gb card they will behave like 2x2gb cards and because vram doesn't add up in sli you will still only have 2gb VRAM.

2gb VRAM is ok but in the latest AAA games it is likely to limit you. I have a 780 with 3gb VRAM and have hit 3gb usage at 1080p in 2 games which causes instant stuttering so had to turn down some settings. If you sold your 660 what single card could you get?

The other considerations are will your PSU support 2 cards, does your motherboard support sli and sli can have issues in some games.
If you mix a 2gb & 3gb card they will behave like 2x2gb cards and because vram doesn't add up in sli you will still only have 2gb VRAM.

2gb VRAM is ok but in the latest AAA games it is likely to limit you. I have a 780 with 3gb VRAM and have hit 3gb usage at 1080p in 2 games which causes instant stuttering so had to turn down some settings. If you sold your 660 what single card could you get?

The other considerations are will your PSU support 2 cards, does your motherboard support sli and sli can have issues in some games.

Solution