I3 4130 vs Overclocked G3258

Evan_6

Reputable
Oct 13, 2015
i know many people say g3258 is better in single threaded and i3 id better in multi[threaded. If that is right, please give me some single/multi threaded games. Also what is your opinion?:D

Solution
Practically all software is multi-threaded to some extent today simply due to development kits and APIs delegating tons of housekeeping and background stuff to worker threads. The difference between a "single threaded" and a heavily threaded game or software is how much of the total processing can occur concurrently on multiple cores.

In single-threaded games, you have a main thread that typically consumes 100% of the CPU time on whichever core it runs on and worker threads consuming maybe half of an extra core worth of total processing time across all other available cores or hardware threads. In heavily threaded software, multiple threads show significant simultaneous CPU usage.

Also keep in mind that the operating system itself has...

sammy sung

Distinguished
I'm going to give you a very basic answer here. In titles that are processor specific, games that utilize up to but no more than two threads, the Pentium will have a clear performance advantage. Whereas any processor bound titles that are well threaded and can make use of more cores, logical or otherwise, will perform better with the stock i3 in theory.

In those well threaded games, the average frame rate will likely lessen a touch, but not much. The minimum frame rate will take a pretty decent hit. And that's the concern for gaming

Evan_6

Reputable
Oct 13, 2015

which one will have a bad minimum fps?

InvalidError

Titan
Practically all software is multi-threaded to some extent today simply due to development kits and APIs delegating tons of housekeeping and background stuff to worker threads. The difference between a "single threaded" and a heavily threaded game or software is how much of the total processing can occur concurrently on multiple cores.

In single-threaded games, you have a main thread that typically consumes 100% of the CPU time on whichever core it runs on and worker threads consuming maybe half of an extra core worth of total processing time across all other available cores or hardware threads. In heavily threaded software, multiple threads show significant simultaneous CPU usage.

Also keep in mind that the operating system itself has tons of processes going on as well and the i3's extra threads can help with those too even when the game or other software makes little use of threading.

Solution

Evan_6

Reputable
Oct 13, 2015

so which one should i get for gaming?

jeffredo

Distinguished
An i3 is better overall and takes no work to make it that way. The G3258 is a "hobbyist" type CPU for those who enjoy overclocking and squeezing the most performance they can out of a cheap, unlocked CPU. I fall into that second category.

Crixilian

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2015
just multiply the frequency to the cores for multi threaded games
for old games pentium will perform better cuz old games averagely single threaded
overclocked pentium can be said multi using for non gaming (watch video,playing musics,browsing,etc) and gaming, but it wont get a very nice performance for gaming