i7 950 how many year i can run this cpu from 2015??

Jul 18, 2015
my brother bought a combo pc with a i7 950 3.07 ghz ..i cant buy a new cpu because i bought this recently.how many year can i run recent games @900p with this cpu?? my gpu is r9 270 gigabyte .thanx in advance :)

Solution
I've ran a i7 950 for the past 5 years and only overclocked it in 2015. I got a very good frame rate out of it with a gtx 570 (Your r9 270 is a better card) until some of the new (and some poorly optimized) games came out in the past year or so. I have been on the fence about upgrading the CPU and Motherboard for the last year and a half, but I'm not seeing a Firestrike DirectX 11 score with other CPUs that warrant I make an upgrade (I have a Firestrike Physics score of around 8000 at stock and 9000 with the Overclock). I did upgrade to a gtx 970 late in 2014. With the GTX 970, I still run most, if not all games, at max at 1080p depending on how well optimized. I don't see anything maxing my CPU usage or even getting within 10 deg...

Kwuarter

Reputable
Jul 11, 2014
Unless you're looking for everything to run super snappy and have every game run on ultra settings then I really wouldn't worry that much about it. That CPU+GPU set-up should run you 5+ years as long as you take good care of it. I'm still running on my 3770k granted it was high end back then and honestly still feels like it now. So it's really up to you if you want more power under the hood. Otherwise it's fine.

Cheers!

Brandon_20

Reputable
Oct 29, 2015
I've ran a i7 950 for the past 5 years and only overclocked it in 2015. I got a very good frame rate out of it with a gtx 570 (Your r9 270 is a better card) until some of the new (and some poorly optimized) games came out in the past year or so. I have been on the fence about upgrading the CPU and Motherboard for the last year and a half, but I'm not seeing a Firestrike DirectX 11 score with other CPUs that warrant I make an upgrade (I have a Firestrike Physics score of around 8000 at stock and 9000 with the Overclock). I did upgrade to a gtx 970 late in 2014. With the GTX 970, I still run most, if not all games, at max at 1080p depending on how well optimized. I don't see anything maxing my CPU usage or even getting within 10 deg of my Prime 95 ver26 temps so there seems to be head room there for more CPU muscle to be used. I imagine you know what settings work with your r9 270 and what settings will bring down whatever visual quality you want (IE: Don't expect to run Witcher 3 at Max settings, but Medium might be doable).

So. The i7 950 is a damn fine chip. Make sure you have some good cooling on it (stock cooler is likely fine if not overclocking) With Windows 7 or 8.1, you'll be able to run games without really being CPU bound for a couple more years until companies stop putting out DirectX 11 versions or their DirectX 11 versions are crap. Good news, though, there are YEARS worth of great games that have already been made and are out there cheap that you can play on that computer.

Solution
No way to tell.
New games come out, and you may want a higher resolution monitor or....

My advice:
Keep what you have until it no longer does the job.
My thought is that your cpu will perform well enough and the graphics will be the first upgrade you need.