1150 processor fit in my/any 1150 socket MoB?

Tsunamiqu

Reputable
Oct 29, 2015
Motherboard: Pegatron Memphis2-S
Current CPU: Intel Core i3 4330
Socket: LGA1150 (H3)

The motherboard site says that it will take some Core i7 CPUs, but the Intel Core i7-4790K Devil’s Canyon Quad-Core 4.0 GHz, which seems to be a LGA1150 is not specifically mentioned as fitting.

Can I use an i7 Devil's Canyon 4790K with this MoB? And, if so, will I be able to overclock it at all?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Hello,

I just researched it, and the Memphis-S is indeed LGA1150, it does support (all) LGA1150 cpu's
But:
Some may be limited: the i7 4970K is overclockable, But not on this board.
Thats because of the chipset (in this case the H81)
and you cant overclock the cpu. Unless you have a Z87 / Z97 chipset board.
So you can use pretty much every CPU which is LGA1150 but some may be limited :)

sabertooth23

Reputable
Mar 18, 2015
Hello,

I just researched it, and the Memphis-S is indeed LGA1150, it does support (all) LGA1150 cpu's
But:
Some may be limited: the i7 4970K is overclockable, But not on this board.
Thats because of the chipset (in this case the H81)
and you cant overclock the cpu. Unless you have a Z87 / Z97 chipset board.
So you can use pretty much every CPU which is LGA1150 but some may be limited :)

Solution
that's a prebuilt motherboard and it may be limited to what ever say hp want to support anyway under there proprietary bios 's if its not on whoevers supported cpu upgrade list for your model then its all at your own risk

even with custom board like we get from newegg and asus giga asrock msi and all each board has a compatible tested cpu list and the bios it needs to be used with

just because its all 1150 don't mean all 1150 chips will work regardless

it comes down to the bios and that bios support of certain chips and as I said this is not a open custom board it seem to be hp [I would guess] and theres your biggest risk right at the start

that board could be used in several models but may not use the same bios or carry the same chip support hp writes there own bios for that particular model

plainly states from hp '' •Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:''
http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c04648625

they sell computers and don't care about you upgrading them you just buy there newer better one

in the end all you could do is buy - try- and hope it don't make you cry ??

good luck