Is an i5 4690 enough for futureproof?

Eminemfan1337

Reputable
Jun 5, 2015
So, Im upgrading my pc, Im pretty sure i've got everything right but just before I buy everything, Is a intel core i5 4690 3.5GHz, GTX 970 and a EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W enough for future proof? These are the good ones i've found in my price range and I can't go any higher so is it enough? I plan on playing upcoming games on High or better if my specs are good enough so is it enough?
Thanks for the help.

Solution
Yup. That will be more then enough CPU, PSU for the next 5-6 years. That GPU will be good for another 2-3 years, depending on what DX12 brings to the table. Looks like you'll have a killer build that'll play 1080p gaming @ high to ultra settings at 60hz. Enjoy it :)

warhead0

Distinguished
Futureproof? That's a loaded question right there....

Nothing is futureproof. No matter how much money you throw at the problem.

Otherwise yes, the parts you listed will be very capable for the next couple of years.

Finkledbody

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014
Yup. That will be more then enough CPU, PSU for the next 5-6 years. That GPU will be good for another 2-3 years, depending on what DX12 brings to the table. Looks like you'll have a killer build that'll play 1080p gaming @ high to ultra settings at 60hz. Enjoy it :)

Solution

Eminemfan1337

Reputable
Jun 5, 2015

Well yes, That's what I meant. a good couple of years.

Eminemfan1337

Reputable
Jun 5, 2015

Thank you for the help!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Really no such thing as 'future proofing' as such, since electronics are constantly evolving. But if you are asking if the pc will be good for the next 5 years or so, well, if pc's and games etc continue their evolutionary trend you should have no foreseeable reason not to be perfectly fine for the next few generations, or @3-8 years, depending on just how far behind you are able to tolerate being.

I have a 3770k, an Ivy-Bridge cpu, gtx970 and 550w G2. It'll keep up with anything current easily. (Ivy - Haswell - Refresh - Broadwell - Skylake) and will probably be good for at least the next few generations. I'm personally not looking to replace for about 5 yrs or so.

Eminemfan1337

Reputable
Jun 5, 2015

Well, I have a pentium g3258 4.2GHz and a gtx 750 1GB right now so i'm pretty far behind.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, kinda. The g3258 was a gimmick at best. It'll run Windows stuff great, Web surfing, social media etc, even some games that are strong single thread like skyrim or fallout, but it bombs with multiple core games like gta-v or bf4 multi-player and due to complexity restraints of these ultra intense type games that's where the future is headed. In 3-4 years at best, by my reckoning, most of not all games will be 4 core optimized (8 core amd) and if you have anything less than an i5 sandy or fx8 series, you'll be in trouble. For the gpu, the 750ti was a great invention. The Maxwell gpus were a serious step in gpu technology, considering the average Joe pc can honestly get away with a 550w psu to power a 980ti beast, vrs the 1000w psu needed for top line cards a few years back. Great match for the g3258, never the less, its still the low end standard. Anything current is considerably better.

Behind, yes. Way behind? That'll be sometime next week.