Solved

Is the MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V OC 4Gb worth upgrading from a Asus R9 270X DCII TOP 2Gb

Hi guys,

I want to upgrade my pc and I wanted to know if it justifies buying a MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V OC 4GB to replace my R9 270X 2GB.
Let me know what you think and please tell me if I should change anything first in my rig:

Asus R9 270X DCII TOP 2Gb
AMD FX6300 3.5GHz@
2x4Gb Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz
Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0 mobo
NOX Urano VX750
Corsair H80i
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250Gb
HDD WD 500Gb Blue
18 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about msi gtx 970 twin frozr 4gb worth upgrading asus 270x dcii top 2gb
  1. Best answer
    A GTX 970 would be a massive upgrade. Although games are becoming less and less CPU dependent I would overclock, with a water cooler you might be able to hit as high as 5gHz although something like 4.5 or so is more likely. Normally I would say upgrade to an i5 but getting an i5, mobo and R9 380 would not provide as much as a boost in gaming especially considering the overclock you could probably get on your CPU.
  2. nah, I'd probably wait til the next generation of GPUs to change that out. Your CPU needs either some serious overclocking or you need to swap it out altogether if you're running stock.
  3. Yes you should definitely consider it.

    I own that card , it's worth every penny.
  4. If you feel like upgrading, You should get yourself an r9 390 over the 970.
  5. So, I should overclock or buy a new CPU to keep up with the gtx970. But as I see it, to get a new CPU from AMD I need to buy aa new mobo but the AM3+ socket doesnt seem worth it ! But if I go Intel I'll probably go i5 but then I won't get much improvement and pay the same...
  6. You will still see good improvements even with youir current setup.
  7. +1 oh yeah you'll see some good improvements alright, might as well future proof your CPU now and just swap out your GPU later (maybe for the next GPU lineup? Or just go maxwell/r9 300 if you have the $$)
  8. PCBuilderProbs said:
    +1 oh yeah you'll see some good improvements alright, might as well future proof your CPU now and just swap out your GPU later (maybe for the next GPU lineup? Or just go maxwell/r9 300 if you have the $$)


    Which Maxwell should I go to, that is in similar price of the msi gtx970?
  9. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    You will still see good improvements even with youir current setup.


    I'll still see good improvements if I do what ? Sorry, I don't know what you are referring to :s
  10. ImmortalGiraffe said:
    If you feel like upgrading, You should get yourself an r9 390 over the 970.


    Why so ?
  11. PeterPinus said:
    PCBuilderProbs said:
    +1 oh yeah you'll see some good improvements alright, might as well future proof your CPU now and just swap out your GPU later (maybe for the next GPU lineup? Or just go maxwell/r9 300 if you have the $$)


    Which Maxwell should I go to, that is in similar price of the msi gtx970?


    I'd go with the r9 390.. Its a lot better than the 970 for a similar price.
  12. Don't listen to that the 970 is a great card.
  13. Over 1080p the r9 390 is better :/ otherwise it will depent on the games you play
    (And i have a 970 too lol x)
    I wouldnt upgrade from a 270x i would wait at least 2 more years
    I upgraded from the a6-5400k to the i7 6700k im not seeing much improvements (framerates jumped from like 45 average to like 140 average but that i dont really see xD just some screentearing if i dont have vsynch lol :P


    I upgraded from the radeon hd 7750 to the gtx 970 that was noticable as i could max my games settings :D
  14. not you said:
    Over 1080p the r9 390 is better :/ otherwise it will depent on the games you play
    (And i have a 970 too lol x)
    I wouldnt upgrade from a 270x i would wait at least 2 more years
    I upgraded from the a6-5400k to the i7 6700k im not seeing much improvements (framerates jumped from like 45 average to like 140 average but that i dont really see xD just some screentearing if i dont have vsynch lol :P


    I upgraded from the radeon hd 7750 to the gtx 970 that was noticable as i could max my games settings :D


    But I really like to max my settings out bro xd And the max I would go for a monitor would be 1440p and that is stretching it out, maybe like in 3 years or so, because now I'm sticking with 1080p! Would you recommend a Skt1150 mobo to match the i5 4690K and msi gtx 970 ?
  15. I would recommend the r9 390 (the 970 has no problems the 390 is just generaly considered a better value ;)

    To max all settings and get 60 fps stable in 1080p i would recommend the 980 ti (anything from a 970 in sli or crossfire is fine too thou)
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gjQESk2DJ8ss
    Ops no i need to repair that even with the 980 ti you will see some drops to 30-40ish but mostly above 50 ;)
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s4gcWSJOVvM


    I rather have everything maxed than the fps counter saying 60 :P some things you need to live with decide all maxed or 60 or spend more than 650$ on your gpu


    Also i would consider your cpu ok but than again depends on what games you play in starcraft (the game i play) that cpu would be a huge bottleneck in battlefield 4 thou i dont think the change would be that much of an improvement
  16. A 970 would be a decent upgrade for 1080p. But if 1440p is even a consideration, you'd be better off with an r9 390. This'll cover you for the vast majority of games. There are a few, such as AC Unity or Witcher 3, that are so badly optimized, you could run set gtx980ti at 1080p,and still not see 60fps.

    A 970/390 is the reasonable limits for that cpu. FX Cpus don't perform all that well unless oc'd, and the h80i is more than capable for that.
  17. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=66BiQsOM9_MM
    Ok i consider this an unfair test as the 260x is not that strong to be bottlenecked but high is high 60 fps is 60 fps so if the fx can do this with a 260x you can be sure it can do it with the gtx 970 ;)

    I would keep what you have it is a nice build ;)
  18. Pick your most intense graphics game. Max out the settings and watch cpu & gpu usage. If the cpu and gpu are both pretty equal, as in high 90's then you've basically hit your gpu ceiling. If gpu is high 90s and cpu is much lower, then you can upgrade.

    With an fx cpu, add some decent OC. This have the net affect of lowering cpu usage as compared to stock.

    Either the 970 or the 390 will be good at 1080p,but the 390 will do better at 1440p and in games that are ram heavy.
Ask a new question

Read More

MSI-Microstar AMD Asus Components Graphics Gtx Graphics Cards