Solved

XFX AMD Radeon R9 280X Black Double Dissipation Edition PSU Requirement

http://xfxforce.com/en-us/products/amd-radeon-r9-200-series/amd-radeon-r9-280x-black-double-dissipation-edition-r9-280x-tdbd

I would like to run two R9 280X Black Double Dissipation Edition cards in crossfire, but for only one, the XFX site says that the minimum power supply is 750W. Does anyone know if I could run two of these cards in crossfire with an 800W Gold PSU. (http://www.coolermaster.com/powersupply/silent-pro-gold/silent-pro-gold-800w/)?

Other threads say that 750W is an overshot.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2249055/xfx-amd-radeon-280x-black-double-dissipation-edition-psu-requirment.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2248558/xfx-amd-radeon-280x-black-double-dissipation-edition-psu-requirment.html
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about xfx amd radeon 280x black double dissipation edition psu requirement
  1. I recommend a solid 850w unit. Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold is not a solid psu.
  2. It has the +12V specs to run dual 250W cards like that, yes. This site says you need 900 total watts: http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
    But they aren't taking into consideration the necessary wattage and amps available on the +12V rail. It's more of a "any 900W should do it" recommendation.
  3. CTurbo said:
    I recommend a solid 850w unit. Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold is not a solid psu.


    Does that mean mine will not run crossfire?
  4. It will, it's just not the best quality and/or most reliable unit.
  5. I have a Seasonic X850 PSU and am able to Crossfire a XFX HD7970 OCed and an Asus AMD R9 280 OCed with it and not have issues. A good reliable 850W PSU can do it But if you plan on OCing a 900W would be better to not stress the PSU to close to its max capability.
  6. CTurbo said:
    It will, it's just not the best quality and/or most reliable unit.


    What risks do I run by running crossfire with my PSU?
  7. It's just not going to last very long. There is always the possibility that a failing psu could take other components with it when it goes. Your psu is not a fire hazard or anything though.
  8. CTurbo said:
    It's just not going to last very long. There is always the possibility that a failing psu could take other components with it when it goes. Your psu is not a fire hazard or anything though.


    Do you have any solid 850W PSUs that you could recommend?
  9. Best answer
    Note: this is the B2 unit and NOT the B1 or G1


    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($70.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $70.99
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-03 07:21 EST-0500
  10. Comradskii said:
    http://xfxforce.com/en-us/products/amd-radeon-r9-200-series/amd-radeon-r9-280x-black-double-dissipation-edition-r9-280x-tdbd

    I would like to run two R9 280X Black Double Dissipation Edition cards in crossfire, but for only one, the XFX site says that the minimum power supply is 750W. Does anyone know if I could run two of these cards in crossfire with an 800W Gold PSU. (http://www.coolermaster.com/powersupply/silent-pro-gold/silent-pro-gold-800w/)?

    Other threads say that 750W is an overshot.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2249055/xfx-amd-radeon-280x-black-double-dissipation-edition-psu-requirment.html
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2248558/xfx-amd-radeon-280x-black-double-dissipation-edition-psu-requirment.html
  11. hi you will definitely need a 1000 plus for just one card, you will see constant crashes with a 800watt due to the volts needed to power everything else, i can not go into the dynamics of the voltage for legal reasons, in my experience there is some major tweaking to get the behemoth of a great graphic card up and running. To get 2 up and running i would go to https://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=220-T2-1600-X1 also there are many power calculators online but if you read the instructions on the box there is a 1000watt psu recommendation.
  12. pricelessinfo said:
    hi you will definitely need a 1000 plus for just one card, you will see constant crashes with a 800watt due to the volts needed to power everything else, i can not go into the dynamics of the voltage for legal reasons, in my experience there is some major tweaking to get the behemoth of a great graphic card up and running. To get 2 up and running i would go to https://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=220-T2-1600-X1 also there are many power calculators online but if you read the instructions on the box there is a 1000watt psu recommendation.


    A good 850W psu will be fine for one and two 280X GPU's. I have run 2 OCed Tahiti chips on my Seasonic X-850, 850W, PSU without issue pushing 780-810W draw from the wall and if you know anything about PSU's you know that the conversion process is less output from the PSU. For a triple Tahiti crossfire setups they recommend a 1100W PSU. this also included a monitor plugged into the meter as well.

    1000W PSU for 2 XFX 280X double dissipation Black Editions is a bit over kill.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies AMD Crossfire XFX Graphics Radeon