I3 2120 with msi gtx 960

Kavan_99

Reputable
Oct 7, 2015
Hi, I'm just wondering. I'm thinking of upgrading my gpu. I had my Asus 560 ti but I upgraded to Windows 10 and there is no driver for the gpu. I am currently running a gtx 260 in my rig. I am wanting to upgrade gpu to the msi gtx 960 (http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/components-upgrades/graphics-cards/msi-geforce-gtx-960-graphics-card-10124002-pdt.html) and my cpu is the i3 2120. Will they work together or should I upgrade my cpu to i5. Thanks

Solution
The Sandy Bridge i3 can keep up with the GTX 960. The Hyper-threaded i3 is still a 2nd tier Gaming CPU according to Tom's hierarchy chart. And the one I had was surprisingly fast at gaming. More games are able to make better use of H-T now than earlier. It will be a good combo.

Should you upgrade to an i5? Of course. And I should upgrade to a new i7-6700K Skylake platform ;-)

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The Sandy Bridge i3 can keep up with the GTX 960. The Hyper-threaded i3 is still a 2nd tier Gaming CPU according to Tom's hierarchy chart. And the one I had was surprisingly fast at gaming. More games are able to make better use of H-T now than earlier. It will be a good combo.

Should you upgrade to an i5? Of course. And I should upgrade to a new i7-6700K Skylake platform ;-)

Solution